Refunds on Student Accounts
Refunds on a student account can be made only if the account has an actual credit balance. They must be requested in writing using the Refund of Credit Balance (PDF) form. Refunds are not issued on credits created by “expected financial assistance.”
Refunds for Changes in Course Load to Less than Full Time
A student who drops below 10 credits in a regular semester may be eligible for a partial tuition refund. Students dropping below full-time status (12 credits) but remaining registered for 10 credits or more are ineligible for a refund. A student who wishes to change course load to less than full-time must submit a Course Add/Drop Form and a Scholarly Standing Committee Petition to the Office of the Registrar. Students whose petitions are approved within the first 30 days of the semester are refunded according to the number of credits enrolled. No refunds are made after the 30th day of class.
Withdrawal During the Term
A student who wishes to withdraw from the College must give notice by submitting a Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form to the associate dean for academic resources and student success (firstname.lastname@example.org). No refunds are made if the student withdraws without giving notice. A student receives a refund, less a pro-rata reduction of any scholarship or grant, subject to the following:
- 100 percent refund of charges and fees is made if withdrawal occurs before the first day of classes
- 75 percent refund of the tuition charge is made if withdrawal occurs before the 18th day of classes
- 50 percent refund of the tuition charge is made if withdrawal occurs after the first 17 days of classes, but by the 30th day of class
- No refund of the tuition charge is made after the 30th day of class
- Refund of the board charge is on a pro-rata basis
- No refunds of room charges or fees are made
- Refunds are made by Harvey Mudd College within 30 days of receipt by the dean of students or the associate dean for academic affairs of the Withdrawal/Leave of Absence form
Questions regarding withdrawal should be directed to the associate dean for academic resources and student success (email@example.com). Questions regarding the College’s refund policy or procedure should be directed to the Office of Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 909.621.8107.