Women’s Introduction to Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
February 1-3, 2018 (residential component)
February – November 2018 (online component)
The Women’s Introduction to Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (WISTEM) program offers women who are college-bound high school juniors an opportunity to experience HMC and gain a better understanding of the science, technology, engineering & mathematics (STEM) fields as they begin their college search process.
WISTEM includes a two-night residential component as well as a nine-month online component. The program is intended for women in their junior year (or equivalent) of high school, who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and live in the United States or Puerto Rico. Young women of color are particularly encouraged to apply for the program as its online component will introduce them to women of color in the STEM professions.
Participants travel to campus, stay in our residence halls, visit classes and research spaces, participate in workshops, hear from HMC alumnae and much more. They also engage in an online program that highlights women STEM professionals and explores college admission and financial aid. The WISTEM program is FREE (including overnight accommodations, meals, and transportation to campus).
Things to know
WISTEM invitees will:
- Be required to participate in both the residential and online components of the program in their entirety.
- Get an inside-look into Harvey Mudd and learn about the HMC experience from current Harvey Mudd students, professors, and deans.
- Interact with other college-bound women from around the nation who share their passion for STEM.
- Engage with HMC through monthly webinars and assignments (estimated to total 3-4 hours of work per month).
- Discuss issues of identity and intersectionality by hearing from women of color in the STEM professions, and explore topics relating to college search, admission and financial aid.
- Receive a fee waiver for their 2018 first-year application to HMC.
Students who fully participate in both the residential and online components will receive a letter of recommendation on behalf of the program to be used in their freshman college applications.
Preview this year’s program here:
Comments From Previous Participants
- “The time spent on your campus during my junior year was truly instrumental to my decision to pursue STEM.”
- “The overnight stay at Harvey Mudd made me so enthusiastic to begin looking at my prospects for a college education. The students that I met were so inviting and the resources that Harvey Mudd provided me with were incomparable.”
- “It really helped me get a sense of what I wanted from a college and who I am. I honestly loved every minute (even the hard ones) and am extremely grateful for the memories and lifelong friends.”
Learn more about the impact of the program and WISTEM alumni experiences in our WISTEM Outcomes page.
Get the Word Out!
Do you know someone perfect for this program? Tell them all about it via email, Facebook or Twitter! (Social media links coming soon!)