Women’s Inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
Seventh Annual 2023 WISTEM Program
We are thrilled to host our seventh annual Women’s Inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (WISTEM) 2023 program. WISTEM is a 6-month program that requires participants to engage with an on-campus residential component and interactive online sessions. Through the virtual program and visit to campus, WISTEM will connect participating students with a cohort of like-minded peers, help participants learn more about admission, and strengthen their understanding of the experiences of women in STEM, with a particular focus on the experiences of women of color. The residential component will take place from February 19 to February 21. Please note, the residential component has no cost and it is fully funded by the Office of Admission. The online component of WISTEM will allow for the cohort to continue to learn and collaborate together.
WISTEM is intended for students who are high school juniors (or equivalent), who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents (who live within the United States), whose current school is located in the west coast and southwest of the United States, and are committed to the inclusion of women in STEM. Invited WISTEM participants will receive a fee waiver for their 2024 first-year application to HMC.
*This year, WISTEM will be limited to applicants who are attending schools located in the west coast and southwest of the United States. If your school is located outside of the identified areas, then we ask that you do not submit an application (your application will not be considered).
WISTEM Application – Due January 11, 2023
Here you can learn about the application requirements and access the 2023 WISTEM application.
2023 WISTEM Program Details
The Women’s Inclusion in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (WISTEM) program offers college-bound high school juniors an opportunity to learn about the experiences of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields and at HMC as they begin their college search process.
WISTEM is a 6-month program. This year our residential program will take place in February and the virtual program will take place from March to July. Please note, the online component will require you to use Discord and Zoom as communication platforms.
Things to know
WISTEM invitees will:
- Be required to attend all virtual sessions and the residential component.
- Get an inside-look into Harvey Mudd and learn about the HMC experience from current Harvey Mudd students and other community members.
- Interact with other college-bound women who share their passion for STEM.
- Engage with HMC through webinars and assignments (estimated a total of 1-3 hours per month).
- Discuss issues of identity and intersectionality by hearing from women of color in the STEM professions, and explore topics relating to college search, and admission .
- Receive a fee waiver for their 2024 first-year application to HMC.
Students who fully participate in both the residential and online components will receive a letter of recommendation on behalf of the program which could be used in their first-year college applications.
Preview this year’s program here:
Comments From Previous Participants
- “The time spent on your campus during my junior year was truly instrumental to my decision to pursue STEM.”
- “The overnight stay at Harvey Mudd made me so enthusiastic to begin looking at my prospects for a college education. The students that I met were so inviting and the resources that Harvey Mudd provided me with were incomparable.”
- “It really helped me get a sense of what I wanted from a college and who I am. I honestly loved every minute (even the hard ones) and am extremely grateful for the memories and lifelong friends.”
- “I gained deep insights into the college admission process and the pursue of STEM field as a female in college. Harvey Mudd College has a special place in my heart and have given me the experience I would not have had without WISTEM. I am excited to see where our cohorts end up, as well as for the future cohorts of this program.”
Learn more about the impact of the program and WISTEM alumni experiences in our WISTEM Outcomes page.
Check out our WISTEM Frequently Asked Questions! Can’t find an answer to your question? Contact us at email@example.com.