Study Abroad for Engineering Majors

When You Should Go

Engineering majors typically study abroad in fall or spring of junior year. The major schedule adjustment required is that you will take E101 and E102 (Advanced Systems Engineering, aka Big Stems) in the senior year.

Examples of Places Engineering Majors Have Studied Abroad

  • University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
  • University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
  • ESIEE, Paris, France
  • University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia

Department Rules for Transferring Credit

  • Petition in advance for pre-approval of the courses you wish to transfer (petition forms are available in the Engineering Department office)
  • You should attend three seminars/talks related to engineering and write a paragraph on each to obtain a semester of seminar credit
  • You may get credit for a maximum of two Engineering Science courses (E82, 83, 84, 85, 106) from study abroad
  • You may get credit for a maximum of two Engineering Technical Electives from study abroad
  • You must earn the equivalent of a B or better to earn transfer credit for Engineering courses

Frequently Given Advice

  • In sophomore spring (and junior fall if you go abroad junior spring), take the Engineering Science classes that most interest you so that you are able to take an interesting advanced course or two while abroad. The university you will attend probably has multiple engineering departments and can offer a wide range of electives not offered at Mudd.
  • At some universities you will not be able to find Engineering Science classes that sufficiently match our courses. You may want to take two electives while abroad.
  • It is a good idea to identify and petition for approval of more courses than you will actually take while abroad. This helps if there are unexpected changes in offerings by your host institution. Pre-approval is for your protection – it is best to avoid surprises about what will and won’t transfer when you return!
  • Before registration for junior fall be sure the Engineering Clinic Director knows that you plan to go abroad so you are ensured a spot in E111 (junior Clinic), for the semester you will be at Mudd.

Further advice

For further advice, contact Professor Anthony Bright (, a member of the Study Abroad Committee.

Example Plan for Studying Abroad Fall of Junior Year

Freshman Fall Units Spring Units
 Chem 21 and 25 4  Chem 22 and 26 4
 Phys 23 2  Phys 24 and 28 4
 Math 11 and 12 4  Math 13 and 14 3
 CS 5 3  E4 Intro to Eng Design 3
 Hum 1 4  Hum 2 3
  Total 17   Total 17
Sophomore Fall Units Spring Units
 E59 Baby Stems  3  E80 Experimental Eng  3
 Math 61 and 62  3  Math 63 and 64  3
 Phys 51 and 53  4  Hum/Soc #2  3
 Bio 52  3  One of E82, 83, 84, 85  2 or 3
 Hum/Soc #1  3  One of E82, 83, 84, 85  2 or 3
 E8 Tools  1  Free elective/IE  3
  Total 17   Total 17
Junior Fall – Study Abroad! Units Spring Units
 Engineering science 3  E111 Clinic 3
 Engineering elective 3  One of E84, 85, 106 3
 Hum/soc #3 3  One of E84, 85, 106 3
 Hum/soc #4 3  Engineering elective 3
 Hum/soc #5 3  Hum/Soc #6 3
 Seminar 0  Seminar 0
  Total 15   Total 15
Senior Fall Units Spring Units
 E112 Clinic 3  E113 Clinic 3
 E101 Big Stems 3  E102 Big Stems 3
 Engineering Elective 3  Hum/Soc #9 3
 Hum/Soc #7 3  Hum/Soc #10 3
 Hum/Soc #8 3  Free elective 3
 Seminar 0  Seminar 0
  Total 15   Total 15


  • Engineering Science courses are E82, 83, 84, 85 and 106. E82 and E83 are prerequisites for E106. E82 is two units (a third unit is optional).
  • Four of the five Engineering Science classes must be taken by the sixth semester, and the fifth must be taken no later than the seventh semester.
  • Information about prerequisites for all Engineering courses is available in the HMC Catalogue and on the department website.