Harvey Mudd has just about every kind of club you can think of, sponsored by the Associated Students of Harvey Mudd College (ASHMC), many of which have a SHMC (pronounced “shmick”) on the end: BaconSHMC, NerfSHMC, CheeseSHMC and GameSHMC … you get the idea. There’s also a Harvey Mudd Club Fair at the beginning of the year (the first Friday of the first semester) where you can sign up for Mudd-only clubs and a Turf Dinner (a 5-College dinner and club fair) where you can sign up for 5-C clubs that are open to the entire Claremont Colleges community. There is also a 2014–2015 student club contact list (PDF) that includes all Mudd-only clubs.
ASHMC also funds new ideas for clubs. Just fill out a club charter on the ASHMC website and present a proposal … and that’s it! We’ve pretty much got you covered when it comes to the student organization and club scene.
Fine and Performing Arts Groups
Students audition for many of the dramatic productions mounted throughout The Claremont Colleges. In addition, Harvey Mudd has its own theater group known as The Etc. Players (“extremely theatrically confused”).
Membership in the Claremont Concert Orchestra, which is supported through the Joint Music Program, is open to all students at The Claremont Colleges. Students are chosen following a successful audition. All students may also participate in the Pomona College Orchestra.
Students have the option to become members of the Concert Choir—a large choral ensemble that performs music composed from 1700 to the present, with an emphasis on major works—and the Chamber Choir, which focuses on music composed from 1500 to the present for smaller ensembles. Both groups are members of the Pacific Southwest Intercollegiate Choral Association. Members of both choirs come from Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna, Scripps and Pitzer colleges and are chosen on the basis of an audition.
Students also have the opportunity to join the Jam Society (musician club), Harvey Mudd College’s band, the jazz ensemble and one of the many a cappella groups throughout the 5-Cs.
- Asian Pacific Islander Support Program at Mudd (API-SPAM)
- International Place
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE)
- The Society for the Advancement of Latino Scientific Achievement (SALSA)
- Student for Middle Eastern Cultural Promotion (SMECP)
Other 5-C Clubs
- Pomona College Clubs
- Claremont McKenna Clubs and Organizations
- Pitzer Clubs and Organizations
- Scripps Student Activities
Student Media Groups
- The Muddraker: Harvey Mudd College’s student newspaper
- Claremont Student: a monthly newspaper of the Claremont Colleges
- The Student Life: the weekly newspaper of Pomona College
- Claremont Independent: a conservative monthly journal of The Claremont Colleges
- The Claremont Port Side: a liberal monthly journal of Claremont McKenna College
- KSPC: radio station for the 5-Cs
- Harvey Mudd’s yearbook