General Immigration Information


Issued by the government of your country. It is the responsibility of each non-immigrant to hold a valid passport at all times while in the U.S.

U.S. Visa

Stamped or computer generated in your passport by the U.S. Consulate; the visa enables you to enter the U.S. for the time of its validity.

Immigration Status

This refers to your immigration category, such as F-1, J-1, B-1, etc. This is usually the same as your visa.

I-94 Card

The small white card which you received upon entering the U.S. The I-94 card shows for how long you are authorized to stay in the U.S. and includes your admission number. It’s usually stapled into your passport. This card is extremely important and very difficult to replace. Keep it safe.

You can now access your I-94 Record, via the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, I-94 website. You may view your record here and it will always be updated upon your re-entry to the United States.

I-20 Form

A student receives this document when they are accepted to a school. If the student is in their home country, they will present this form to the American Embassy or Consulate in their home country when they apply for F-1 visa status. The I-20 is what determines how long you may stay in the United States as a student. Before traveling abroad, students must obtain a signature from a DSO (Designated School Official). At Harvey Mudd College, the DSO’s are Evelyn Real and Danny Ledezma.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Small plastic card issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to show authorization for employment.