2020 Commencement Schedule of Events
Our campus map shows locations for events on Harvey Mudd College and the commencement ceremony itself.
Friday, May 1, 2020
Lavender Graduation, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Sponsored by the Queer Resources Center (QRC) Pomona College
- Ceremony location: Benson Auditorium 1050 N. Mills Avenue
- Speaker: Nick Daily, former Assistant Director of OBSA and Founder of LuvServedDaily Consulting
- Reception following ceremony
Friday, May 15, 2020
Annual Dr. Agnes Moreland Jackson Service Awards and Black Graduation, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Sponsored by the Office of Black Student Affairs
- Ceremony Location: Seaver Theatre, Pomona College 300 E. Bonita Avenue
- Speaker: Eileen Wilson-Oyelaran ’69, President Emerita Kalamazoo College/Pomona Board of Trustees
- Reception immediately following ceremony
The Claremont Colleges Interfaith Baccalaureate Service, 3:30–4:30 p.m.
- Sponsored by the McAlister Center For Religious Activities
- Location: Little Bridges auditorium, 150 East 4th Street
- Speaker: Maryam Amirebrahimi, Women’s Rights Activist & Writer
- Reception: 4:30 – 5 p.m.
International Student Graduation Celebration, 4 – 6 p.m.
- Sponsored by the International Students and Scholars Office, HMC
- Location: Platt Living Room, Platt Campus Center
- Graduating and departing international students, scholars, their friends and families are invited to a reception in their honor.
- RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
7C Asian American/Pacific Islander Graduation, 5 – 7 p.m.
- Sponsored by the 7-C Asian American Resource Center
- Location: Rose Hills Theatre, Pomona College
- Speaker: Lee Ann Wang, Assistant Prof. Asian American Studies and Social Welfare at UCLA, Scripps College Alumni
- Dinner following graduation celebration
Reception for Seniors and Families With Harvey Mudd College Board of Trustees, 6 – 7 p.m.
- Location: Strauss Plaza, HMC campus
- Beverages and heavy hors d’oeuvres will be served.
- Seniors and families are required to register in advance.
- Parents can email email@example.com or call 909.621.8342 for more information.
Chicano/a Latino/a Graduation, 7 – 9 p.m.
- Sponsored by Office of Chicano Latino Student Affairs
- Location: Garrison Theater- Scripps College
- Speaker: Leisy Abrego ’97, UCLA Associate Professor of Chicana/o Studies Department: Cesar E. Chavez Center for Interdisciplinary Instruction in Chicana and Chicano Studies, Pomona College Grad
- Reception preceding graduation, 5–7 p.m.
- Visit the Chicano Latino Student Affairs page to register
Saturday, May 16, 2020
Graduate’s Lunch and Program, Noon–1:30 p.m.
- Location: Linde Activity Center (families invited, no RSVP or tickets necessary)
Academic Department Receptions, 1:30–3:30 p.m.
- Biology- Big Oak Tree lawn
- Chemistry- Hixon Court
- Computer Science- Shakespeare Plaza & Sprague Gallery, Shanahan Center
- Engineering- Platt Living Room
- Mathematics- SkyCube (Shanahan 3460)
- Physics- Keck-Jacobs Courtyard
Graduates’ Commencement Rehearsal, 3–4 p.m.
- Rehearsal is mandatory for graduates
- Line-up location: Kingston and Shanahan Center sidewalks
President’s Reception for Graduates and Families, 4–5:30 p.m.
- Graduates, families, faculty and staff are invited
- Location: Garrett House
Sunday, May 17, 2020
Brunch Service, 10:30 a.m.–12:45 p.m.
- Hoch-Shanahan Dining Commons
- No reservation is needed, $15 per person (cash, check or credit cards accepted)
Commencement, 1:30–3:15 p.m.
- Location: Mudd Quadrangle, Tenth St. and Dartmouth Ave. (There is plenty of seating in the shade, no tickets required)
- Speaker: Dr. Fei-Fei Li, Stanford University Artificial Intelligence lab and Professor in the Computer Science Department
- Commencement Live Stream begins at 1:15 p.m. The processional will precede the official ceremony, which begins at 1:30 p.m. PDT.
Reception, 3:30 p.m.
- Location: R. Michael Shanahan Center for Teaching and Learning, lawn