Mandatory Safety Training for Laboratory Research
The Laboratory Safety/Chemical Hygiene Training for summer researchers will be held Tues. May 27 at 8:30 a.m. in the Drinkward Recital Hall. Check in will begin at 8 a.m. Training will last approximately two hours with a refreshment break intermission. Cal OSHA requires that employees working with hazardous chemicals be trained before they begin working in the lab, and the training refreshed periodically as needed. The training covers general lab safety, hazard communication (Reading an MSDS/SDS, identifying health and physical hazards) hazardous waste, accidental release response, and first aid for chemical exposure.
Stauffer Talk Series
As in past summers, we will continue this popular lecture series to highlight our faculty and their scholarship.
Unless otherwise noted, refreshments will be served on the Thomas-Garrett Plaza at 11 and then talks will run 11:15–noon in Shanahan 1430.
- Thursday, June 5**, Prof. Karl Haushalter, The Ethical Conduct of Research
- Thursday, June 19, Prof. Greg Lyzenga and Dr. Michael Storrie-Lombardi
- Tuesday, July 1, Prof. Mohamed Omar, The Role Algebra Plays in Combinatorics & Optimization
- Thursday, July 10, Prof. Jae Hur
**On this day only, refreshments 1–1:15 p.m. and talk 1:15–2 p.m.
Lab Open Houses
This idea came from a student who wanted to know more about research going on in other labs during the summer and has become a huge hit for students, faculty, and staff. And food is provided! The open houses will be held 11-12 on the following days:
- Thursday, June 12, Prof. Nancy Lape’s lab and Prof. Liz Orwin’s lab
- Thursday, June 26, Prof. Kathy Van Heuvelen’s lab and Prof. Ron Grimm’s lab
- Thursday, July 17, Prof. Zach Dodds’ lab
Summer Research Celebration and Poster Session
All participants in summer research are invited to present their work in a campus wide poster session scheduled for 4:30–6:30 pm on Tuesday, September. Details about registering for the poster session will be made available mid-summer.