Heat Cycles – 4F30.00
Hero’s Engine with LN2 – 4F30.01
- Pour LN2 into the plastic drinking bottle.
- Tighten bottle to the cap and PVC pipe assembly.
- Hold the other end of the PVC firmly and lower the bottom of the bottle into a Nalgene container 1/3 full of water.
- As soon as the bottom of the bottle touches the water, LN2 will begin to boil and pressurize.
- The nitrogen gas escaping will cause the bottle to turn at a high rate of speed.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 285
Stirling Engine – 4F30.15
- A sterling engine is placed over a hot or a cold water bath.
- The engine rotation will reverse when the direction of the heat flow is reversed.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 273
Thermoelectric Converter (Pasco) – 4F30.80
- Place one leg of the Thermoelectric Converter into cold water, the other into hot.
- The fan turns as the converter draws energy from the hot source (typically a 50 degrees C temperature differential is required).
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 265