Resonance in Plates, Bars, Solids – 3D40.00
Singing Rod – 3D40.20
- A long aluminum rod will sing when it is stroked along its length with rosin and supported at its center.
- Find the center by balancing the rod on your finger.
- Rub some rosin on your free hand and vigorously stroke the rod.
- You will need to squeeze hard. Also try holding the rod at a point 1/3 or ¼ of its length to excite higher harmonics.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 286
Chladni Plate – 3D40.30
- A square plate is clamped at its center.
- Sand is sprinkled on it and place is excited with a mechanical vibrator and a frequency generator.
- The sand will show the nodal lines of the excited pattern.
- The pattern will change depending on the frequency applied to the mechanical vibrator.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 263
Shattering the Beaker/ Wine Glass – 3D40.55
- Laboratory beakers or wine glasses are shattered in a chamber when large amplitude sound at the resonant frequency is directed at a beaker or a wine glass.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 283