Resonance Cavities – 3D30.00
Resonance Tube – 3D30.15
- Use two nested cardboard tubes, open speaker and sine wave generator
- Using the plunger tube see the effects of length on the resonant frequencies of closed tubes.
- Vary sound source frequency to show open tube resonant frequency pattern.
Location: Jacobs B122
Singing Pipe – 3D30.40
- An open ended metal or cardboard tube has a metal screen attached inside of one end.
- The pipe is heated by putting it up to a to a blow torch with the end that has the metal screen closest.
- After 20-30 seconds of heating, the pipe is moved away from the heat source.
- If held vertically with the metal screen on the bottom, the pipe will hum as hot air rushes through the tube after being heated while passing through the screen.
- Holding the pipe horizontally will stop the sound, but the sound will return if the pipe is returned to vertical while still hot enough.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelves 271 & 175