Resonance Radiation – 7B13.00
Fluorescence under UV Light – 7B13.50
- Shine a black light on various minerals causing them to fluorescence.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelves 299 & 166
Quantum Dots – 7B13.52
- Quantum dots are small spheres (2-50nm) composed from a semiconductor.
- The size of the dots determines the wavelength of light that is emitted.
- Various LEDs are used to show that a minimum energy is required to achieve fluorescence.
Location: Jacobs B121
Phosphorescence – 7B13.53
- Shine a blue LED on a piece of “glow-in-the –dark” phosphorescent material.
- It absorbs the energy and “stores” it and stores it for a long time as the subatomic reactions required to re-emit the light.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 274