Conservation of Angular Momentum – 1Q40.00
Rotating Stool with Weights – 1Q40.10
- Start rotating with dumbbells close to your body. Or else be careful to begin with a slow spin.
- Watch the change in spin the masses are moved further away.
Location: Demo Room
Rotating Hoberman Sphere – 1Q40.22
- Expand the Hoberman sphere by removing the small clip at the bottom.
- Give the sphere a slight push to make it spin slowly.
- As it is spinning, pull on the bottom pull ring and watch the angular velocity change.
- Do not pull hard enough to collapse the sphere completely. This damages the pulley system.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 283
Pulling on the Whirligig – 1Q40.25
- Attach balls to either ends of a string that passes through a hollow tube so you can set one ball twirling and pull on the other ball to change the radius.
- Spin the ball around while holding the hollow tub.
- Move the lower ball up and down to change the radius of the circle.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 279
Rotating Stool and the Bicycle Wheel – 1Q40.30
- Tip a spinning wheel sitting on a rotating platform.
- Tip the wheel in the opposite direction to spin to change the direction on the spinning platform.
Location: Demo Room
Suitcase Demo – 1Q40.50
- A large fly-wheel is mounted in a suitcase.
- Start the fly-wheel a couple of minutes before the demo.
- Have a student carry the suitcase around the corner.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 033
Mystery Space Ship – Defies Gravity – 1Q40.55
- Plastic spaceship toy with encased gyroscope with a holder and a crank on top.
- When cranked it performs numerous spinning tricks, balancing on its side, on center post, or attached to a string.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 264
Hero’s Engine – 1Q40.80
- Put an amount of liquid nitrogen in the bottle and tighten the bottle to the cap and PVC pipe assembly.
- Hold the other end of the PVC firmly and lower the bottom of the bottle into a container (Nalgene beaker) 1/3 full of water.
- As soon as the bottom of the bottle touches the water the liquid nitrogen will begin to boil and pressurize.
- The nitrogen gas escaping will cause the bottle to run at a high rate of speed.
Location: Jacobs B122 Shelf 285