Accelerated Reference Frames – 1G20.00
Weightlessness in Free Fall – Mass in Cup on Pole – 1G20.38
- A long broomstick has a cup attached to the end.
- Inside the cup are a ball and a weak spring.
- When the ball hangs out of the cup the spring is too weak to pull it back in.
- When the stick is raised up in the air and released gravity is instantly switched off.
- In the absence of gravity (freefall) the weak spring has the ability to pull the all back into the cup.
- This apparatus is also called Einstein’s Toy. It was designed by Eric Rogers of Princeton and presented to Einstein on his 76th birthday.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 284
Dropped Slinky – 1G20.45
- Hold a slinky so some of it extends downward, and then drop it to show the contraction.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 163