Deformation by Central Forces – 1D52.00
Flattening the Earth – 1D52.10
- Hang the Hoberman Sphere.
- Rotate the sphere and, like the Earth, it becomes oblate.
- Its equator moves outward and its poles draw together.
- Central forces push the sphere’s center outwards, narrowing it’s radius.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 283
Water Parabola – 1D52.20
- A rectangular flat glass container mounted on ball bearings is filled with colored water and spun.
- As the setup rotates, one can observe the parabolic curve formed by the water’s surface.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 265