Semiconductors – 5M10.00
Remote Breathing Status Monitor – 5M10.10
- The apparatus shows the temperature dependence of the electrical conductivity and exponential temperature dependence of the resistance of a sample of semiconductor material
- It is used to produce an oscilloscope display that looks like a plot of a person’s inhaled and exhaled air temperature versus time.
- A thermistor is placed at the location of the warm exhaled air.
- The thermistor resistance will decrease and the current through and the voltage across the resistor in the apparatus will increase.
- When the cooler air is inhaled, the thermistor resistance will increase and the current through and the voltage across the resistor will decrease.
- The voltage across the resistor of the apparatus is displayed versus time on the oscilloscope screen.
- The waveform looks like a plot of inhaled and exhaled air temperature versus time.
- The small size and mass of the thermistor make possible rapid change in temperature and resistance.
Locations: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 264