Resistivity and Temperature – 5D20.00
Wire Coil in Liquid Nitrogen – 5D20.10
- Measure the initial resistance of a resistor (a coil of copper wire) at room temperature.
- Hook the resistor with a 12V light bulb in series powered by a 30 Volt DC power supply.
- The bulb lights dimly or not at all.
- Disconnect the circuit and hook it up again with the multi-meter.
- Immerse the coil in a cup of liquid nitrogen.
- Observe the dramatic drop in the resistance.
- Connect the coil with the light bulb and cool it with liquid nitrogen.
- Turn the power on and the light bulb glows brightly due to reduced resistance of the coil at a very low temperature.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelves 158, 213, 228, 300