Temperature and Magnetism – 5G50.00
Curie Point – 5G50.15
- Put a piece of metal near a magnet to show that it is attracted by it.
- Heat the metal with a torch until the metal loses its ferromagnetic property and is not attracted by the magnet when put near it.
- Once cooled, the metal will again be attracted to the magnet.
Location: Demo Room
Meissner Effect (Super Conductivity) – 5G50.50
- Place a magnet on warm disk to show how nothing happens, then remove.
- Add liquid nitrogen to the Styrofoam container holding the super-conducting disk.
- When the boiling stops, the disk is cold.
- Use the plastic tweezers to place the magnet on the disk.
- The magnet floats over the disk due to magnetic repulsion.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 156