Paramagnetism and Diamagnetism – 5G30.00
Para/Diamagnetism of Several Samples – 5G30.10
- Place pivot base and place the swing arm over the bearing.
- Place two samples on the pivot arm- bismuth, water, or cupric sulfate.
- Hold magnet very close to the sample but not touching it.
- There will be an attraction of cupric sulfate and a repulsion of water or bismuth.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 285
Paramagnetism of Liquid Oxygen – 5G30.20
- A metal cone is partially filled with liquid nitrogen and placed over the parallel pole faces of a strong magnet.
- Liquid oxygen collects at the point of the cone and drips between the pole faces.
- The liquid is attracted to the closest pole face and eventually bridges the gap between the faces.
- This demo is small, so a camera is used to display it.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 157