Magnets – 5G10.00
Break a Magnet – 5G10.20
- Show that the magnet attracts iron filings and nails.
- Show that an identical broken magnet does the same thing.
Location: Demo Room
Magnetic Accelerator – 5G10.55
- Place 4 stainless steel balls on a track and roll a 5’th one down.
- The last ball in the line rolls away with less speed than the incoming ball.
- Repeat the experiment with the first stationary ball replaced with a neodymium magnet ball.
- The last ball in the line will move away faster than the incoming ball
Location: Jacobs B120 – Shelf 278
Gauss Rifle – 5G10.80
- A series of cube magnets are placed 2.5” apart from each other.
- Two steel balls are placed to one side of each magnet
- A lone ball is then slowly rolled toward the first magnet, coming in from the opposite side of the sphere pairs. The lone ball will strike the first magnet causing a sphere to be ejected from the opposite side.
- This sphere rolls toward the next magnet and s on.
- The last ball will fly off with a speed of a few metes per second. Place a soda can in front of it and see it flying.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 275