Electric Field – 5B10.00
Hair on End – 5B10.10
- Remove pointed metal items such as keys and microphones.
- Stand on the insulated stool.
- Turn the power on the Van de Graaff.
- Hold a pointed probe against the sphere.
- Place your other hand on the sphere before removing the probe.
- Do not remove your hand and stay away from anything metal.
- Allow yourself to charge up. Fine, clean, dry hair stands on end the best.
- To discharge without shocks, hold pointed probe against the sphere, remove other hand and turn off motor.
Location: Jacobs B122 on a cart
Electric Field Lines – 5B10.40
- A pan filled with mineral oil is placed on an overhead projector.
- Iron filing is sprinkled into the oil.
- Different electrodes are inserted in the oil which and are attached to a Van de Graaff generator.
- The iron fillings will align in the direction of the electric field.
Location: Jacobs B122 – Shelf 265