The HSA Department’s goals divide into two main categories: first, goals for student learning and our curriculum; second, our broader professional goals as faculty of the college and the consortium.
Goals for Student Learning and Curriculum
- To provide a curriculum that
- allows students to develop an understanding of the questions, methods, and content of our disciplines;
- enables and encourages students to make connections between their work in mathematics, science, and engineering and the concerns and insights of the humanities, social scientists, and arts;
- offers opportunities for the development of increased self-knowledge, an examined and evolving set of values, and an appreciation for the responsibilities of informed and active citizenship.
- fosters excellence in critical reading and thinking, and in writing
- To provide timely and productive advice for students as they shape their academic programs at the College.
- To represent, communicate, and advocate the aims of a liberal arts education on our campus.
- To create a departmental environment conducive to professional and personal growth of all department members.
- To serve as liaisons between the College and our professional communities elsewhere in the Claremont Consortium.