The Hixon Center for Sustainable Environmental Design has added Bruce Reznik (executive director, Los Angeles Waterkeeper) as a speaker for the “Black, Gold and Green” Speaker Series this spring. He joins Dr. Jon Keeley (U.S. Geological Survey), Dian Grueneich (Stanford University), and Maggi Kelly (U.C. Berkeley) on the docket of speakers for spring 2018.
Reznik has served as the Executive Director of the Los Angeles Waterkeeper since September 2015, where he directs the organization’s programmatic and advocacy efforts. The LA Waterkeeper’s mission, since its founding in 1993, “is to protect and restore the Santa Monica Bay, San Pedro Bay and adjacent waters through enforcement, fieldwork, and community action. [The Waterkeeper] work[s] to achieve this goal through litigation and regulatory programs that ensure water quality protections in waterways throughout L.A. County.”
Reznik is set to speak at Harvey Mudd on Monday, April 16th, 2017 from 12-1:15 p.m. in the SkyCube (Shanahan 3460). He will speak about the state’s water resources and how the historic drought has and will continue to shape water policy and management in California going forward. He will also speak about the LA Waterkeeper and the organization’s efforts in the region.
This spring, the series has held the theme, “A Changing State: Addressing California’s Environmental Challenges,” and kicked off on February 21st, 2018 with a talk from fire ecologist Jon Keeley (U.S. Geological Survey) about the 2017 California fires. The remaining talks are as follows:
- Title: “California’s Clean Energy Transformation: Progress Made and Challenges Ahead”
- Speaker: Dian Grueneich, senior research scholar, Stanford University
- Date and Location: Wednesday, March 7, 2017, Noon-1:15 p.m., SkyCube (Shanahan 3460)
- RSVP: tiny.cc/hixongrueneichtalk
- Title: TBD
- Speaker: Professor Maggi Kelly, professor of environmental science, policy, and management, U.C. Berkeley
- Date and Location: Monday, April 9, 2018, Noon-1:15 p.m., SkyCube (Shanahan 3460)
- RSVP: tiny.cc/hixonkellytalk
- Title: TBD
- Speaker: Bruce Reznik, executive director, Los Angeles Waterkeeper
- Date and Location: Monday, April 16th, 2017, Noon-1:15 p.m., SkyCube (Shanahan 3460)
- RSVP: tiny.cc/hixonrezniktalk
More speakers may be added to the series, and lunch will be provided at all events. Questions about the “Black, Gold and Green” speaker series can be sent to the Hixon Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.