Sustainability Policy Statement
The core mission of Harvey Mudd College is the education of its students. One aspect of such education is the demonstration by its actions of the College’s concern for, and protection of, its physical environment. To accomplish this, the College must be a responsible steward of the environment. As such, the College will seek to:
- Reduce the rate at which it contributes to the depletion and degradation of natural resources,
- Increase its use of renewable resources, and
- Incorporate concepts of sustainability into the academic and daily affairs of the College.
In order to achieve these goals, the College will develop priorities and implement decisions regarding sustainability impacts of each area of College activity. To achieve this, the President and Chair of the Board of Trustees shall appoint a Sustainability Committee composed of representatives of all stakeholder groups in the college community:
Sustainability Committee Structure
I. Duties and responsibilities
The charge of the Harvey Mudd College Sustainability Committee shall be to set goals for the College’s sustainability program and provide oversight of the Sustainability Program.
The Duties and Responsibilities of the Sustainability Committee are as follows:
- Define and reevaluate annually the mission of the Sustainability Committee and define tangible and attainable goals that lead toward the ultimate goal of carbon neutrality.
- Oversee the implementation of the College’s Sustainability Plan, working with the various stakeholder groups in the Harvey Mudd community.
- Assist the administration in identifying sustainability initiatives as well as potential funding.
- Support the Office of Facilities and Maintenance (F&M) in its implementation of campus sustainability improvement endeavors.
- Actively educate the campus community about the progress of the College’s Sustainability Program.
- Partner with the F&M office to work with Claremont University Consortium and the other Claremont Colleges on sustainability issues.
- The Committee Chair shall report to the President’s Cabinet on the College’s progress in implementing the Sustainability Program at least once per year and as necessary to the Physical Plant and Campus Planning Committee of the Board of Trustees.
In establishing and implementing a sustainability program for the College, the Committee will endeavor to evaluate potential decisions in light of the College’s “quadruple bottom line” (economic, environmental and social impacts and the Harvey Mudd Mission Statement). The objective of this analysis shall be to select activities that can be shown to have a “positive payback” to the College in one or more of these dimensions.
The Committee shall consist of one representative appointed or elected from each of the following groups:
- Associated Students of Harvey Mudd College (the ASHMC Council will take the lead in identifying this student)
- Engineers for a Sustainable World/Mudders Organizing for Sustainability Solutions (an appointed position from ESW/MOSS)
- Office of Business Affairs
- Office of Facilities and Maintenance
The President’s Cabinet may appoint additional members .The terms of the ASHMC and ESW/MOSS members are one year; all other terms are for two years. There are no term limits. The Facilities and Maintenance representative will chair the Committee and convene meetings.
The Committee shall meet as a whole at least twice per semester. Subcommittees and working groups shall be appointed and meet as necessary to achieve objectives. As needed, other constituents, including trustees, could be invited to meet with the Committee to discuss various sustainability initiatives.
Policy Approved by the PPCPC on September 26, 2014.