This is the next note in our series of monthly updates to keep you informed of the activities of the Core Review Planning Team (CRPT). As a reminder, this team is composed of faculty, ASHMC student representatives, a staff member, and the president of AABOG, and is charged to lead the upcoming review of the college’s core curriculum.
Our efforts are directed toward informing a summer-through-fall process that will, we hope, culminate in a collective understanding of the goals of our core curriculum by the end of the fall term.
Since our last update:
- Survey of alumni is completed and we had over 1,400 replies, or better than a 25% response rate. We are processing the responses.
- The surveys of the students, faculty, and staff are now open, and invitations to participate have been mailed. We’d be grateful if you could take the time to fill your survey out.
- We have worked with the Dean of Faculty, Lisa Sullivan, to form the team that will conduct the external review of the core, November 13-15. The team will be:
- Art Heinricher, Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Professor of Mathematics at Worchester Polytechnic Institute (Team Chair)
- Jo Beld, Vice President for Mission and Professor of Political Science, St Olaf College.
- Ashley Findley, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Dominican Experience at Dominican University.
- Robert (Bob) Jaffe, Jane and Otto Morningstar Professor of Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- We have coordinated with the Faculty Executive Committee, and the Diversity, Inclusion and Excellence committee, and the Teaching and Learning Committee to schedule CRPT-led meetings this fall that will address the Core Curriculum. Meeting themes and dates are as follows:
- Theme 1: Student Preparation and Alumni PerspectiveThursday, Sept. 14, (noon – 1 pm), facultyFriday, Sept. 15, 4:15, community forum
- Theme 2: WorkloadThursday, Oct. 19, (noon – 1 pm), facultyFriday, Oct. 20, 4:15, community forum
- Theme 3: Goals of the Core CurriculumThursday, Nov. 9, (noon – 1 pm), facultyFriday, Nov. 10 4:15, community forum
- Theme 4: Draft language for the goals of the Core CurriculumThursday, Nov. 30, (noon – 1 pm), faculty
ASHMC and AABOG may schedule other meetings separately to facilitate discussions among their constituencies.
- We continue to work with a team of external facilitators from Caltech to help us design, organize, and run a strategic planning session that will take place early in the spring of 2018. This event will also include all college constituencies.
- We continue to work with the office of institutional research, the registrar, academic departments, the office of admission, and to look outward to other institutions to collect information and data that will inform community discussions of the core curriculum this fall.
- We continue to work closely with ASHMC and staff representatives, as well as the AABOG leadership.
The Core Review Planning Team
Tom Donnelly, Core Curriculum Director
Erika Dyson, Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts
Nancy Lape, Department of Engineering
Ran Libeskind-Hadas, Department of Computer Science
Marissa Lee, ASHMC
Julia Wang, ASHMC
Laura Palucki Blake, Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
David Sonner, President of AABOG