Computing and Information Services offers five printers for student printing. They are best accessed using the Student Printing queue, which sends the job to all five printers, then is released once a user authenticates using HMC credentials or an HMC ID card.
The five printers configured for student printing are as follows:
Location: Linde Activities Center, 2nd floor lab
Model: HP LaserJet 9050DN
Location: Linde Activities Center, 1st floor
Model: HP LaserJet 4345 MFP
Location: Sprague, 1st floor
Model: HP LaserJet M830z MFP
Location: Platt Campus Center, Mailroom
Model: HP LaserJet 9050DN
Location: Shanahan Center Cafe
Model: HP LaserJet 9050 MFP
Mac Printer Installation
- Open System Preferences and go to Print & Scan or Print & Fax.
- Click the + button to add a new printer.
- Select the “Advanced” icon at the top. Note: If you do not have an “Advanced” icon, right click (ctl-click) on one of the other icons and select “Customize Toolbar.” Drag the “Advanced” icon up into the toolbar.
- Under “Type,” select “Windows.”
- Type the URL smb://print.hmc.edu/studentprinting into the box labeled “URL.”
- Under “Use,” select “Generic PostScript Printer” and click “Add.” If you want to enable double-sided printing, ensure the “Duplex Printing Unit” box is checked. Then, click “Continue.” You will then be configured for student printing at Harvey Mudd.
Note: When printing the first time using the queue, it will prompt for HMC Credentials. Please enter your user name in the format username and then your normal HMC Credentials Password.
Windows Printer Installation
- Go to “Run” (windows key +r) and enter \\print.hmc.edu
- When prompted, enter your Harvey Mudd credentials (hmc\username) to access the folder. Be sure to check “Remember my credentials” so the username and password are saved.
- Right-click on student printing and select “Connect.”
- The correct driver will be automatically configured, and the Student Printing queue will be added to the list of configured printers.
Ubuntu Printer Installation
- Navigate to “System Settings,” “Printers,” “Add Printer.”
- In the left pane, select “Network Printer,” followed by “Windows Printer via SAMBA.”
- In the right pane, enter the printer address as smb://print.hmc.edu/studentprinting.
- Select “Set authentication details now” and enter HMC credentials as hmc\username and the corresponding password.
- At the “Choose Driver” prompt, select “Generic” followed by “Generic Postscript Printer Foomatic/Postscript.”
- At the “Describe Printer” prompt, enter a printer name and description. We recommend “HMC Student Printing” for the Printer Name.
Printing Using the Queue
Printing with Student Printing places your job in a queue that can be accessed at any of the five network student printers.
- Print your job to the student printing queue. The default names are print.hmc.edu on Mac and student printing on Windows.
- If you are logged into a lab computer with your HMC credentials, the document will be sent straight to the queue.
- If you are logged into your own Mac computer, a pop-up window will ask for your HMC credentials (hmc\username).
- Once you have sent your document to the queue, go to the printer to which you want to print and log in with your HMC credentials at the release station. Select the document you want to print from the screen.
- Retrieve your document from the printer.
Note: your print job will be stored in the queue for 24 hours.
Print Using the Web Interface
- Go to https://print.hmc.edu:9192/app.
- Enter your HMC credentials (the same username/password used to log in to Charlie or Gmail).
- Click on the “Web Print” tab on the left, then on “Submit a Job.”
- Follow the prompts to select the student printing queue and number of copies, then upload your document.
- Your document has now been sent to the student printing queue. Walk up to any of the release stations located near the printers and enter your HMC credentials to release your job.
Is available at the following printers: