So you’ve been invited to Summer Institute…
What is Summer Institute?
Summer Institute’s (SI) mission is to increase the leadership development and personal and academic success of participants. It targets students who are underrepresented in science, math and engineering, but participation is not limited to these groups.
What is the cost of participating in SI?
SI is free of charge to students.
When does SI take place?
SI starts in the summer, but engages students throughout their first year. Here are some key dates:
- July 19 – August 23 – Virtual Sessions
- Thursday, August 26 – Scholar Move-In Day: Move-in information will be provided in early June. We’re tentatively scheduling a family session for this afternoon (more details TBA).
- August 26-27 – In-Person Sessions
- Faculty Fridays: Enjoy meeting with your faculty during lunch on Fridays. Scholars will receive this schedule during the on-campus portion of the program.
- September 4 – Optional Mentor Group Activity
- October 16-17 – Social justice Immersive Experience in Los Angeles
Please note that dates are subject to change due to COVID-19 Restrictions.
What happens during SI?
SI scholars will become familiar with the resources and programs available at HMC and the Claremont Colleges. They will participate in a variety of workshops in understanding healthy behaviors, career exploration and community engagement. Co-curricular programming includes developing your multicultural, allyship, community-building and leadership skills.
Why was I invited to SI?
We believe students invited to SI would benefit from having additional time to learn about the culture and resources at HMC. This year we extended an SI invitation to nearly 40% of admitted students.
What are the benefits of SI?
Previous participants say that SI gave them greater confidence in their transition to Harvey Mudd and provided them with a strong, supportive community. Over the years a large number of our SI participants have gone on to assume leadership roles at HMC including, proctors, mentors, student organization leaders, Orientation directors and ASHMC presidents.
How do I sign up?!
Please submit the Summer Institute Agreement Form by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18.
SI is designed to accommodate around 40-60 students. Therefore, it is possible that not all students who indicate interest will be able to attend SI.