Sustainability Club

Share story

Of all the numerous and exciting events always taking place at Mudd, the club fairs at the beginning of the semester were probably some of my favorites. Although I did sign up for way too many mailing lists, most of the clubs were super intriguing, one of those being the Sustainability Club. I initially thought I wouldn’t be too interested in this club, but the student at the booth explained that the club does all kinds of activities, ranging from screening documentaries to actually building technical projects to work towards a goal of increased sustainability. Since I signed up for their mailing list, I’ve also been able to get a free vegetarian meal from the nearby Spot Café and participate in events like Vegan Week!

A smiling student reading a manual booklet with solar panels in front of her

Students working on a technical project for Sustainability Club! Photo Credit: Aanya Pratapneni

When club leadership were asked about the mission of Sustainability Club (or Sus Club, as it is often called), they said the club intends to create a community where students can discuss anything sustainability-related and conduct technical projects. One particularly interesting goal of the organization is to expand the discussion surrounding sustainability beyond the boundaries of the classroom! There are a bunch of options for Mudd students to engage with sustainability in academics, with courses offered on and off campus. While I haven’t had the opportunity to take any of these yet, Sustainability Club does seem like a great way to interact with material outside of class and take advantage of perks like free food!

A woman stands in front of a blender connected to a cart located outdoors

Making smoothies with the Solar Smoothie cart. Photo Credit: Aanya Pratapneni

Recently, Sus Club has held a lot of events that seem really cool, like the Sustainability Carnival and the completion of the Solar Smoothie cart! Contrary to my initial belief, Sus Club is a particularly interesting student club and I’m definitely looking forward to any upcoming events they’re planning.

Four Mudd students pose in front of solar panels used for the smoothie cart

Sus Club members in front of the smoothie cart. Photo Credit: Aanya Pratapneni

This blog was written by: Aanya Pratapneni '26. Intended major: Computer Science. Bangalore, India.