Dorm Meetings: Drinkward Scavenger Hunt

Throughout the semester, residence halls will hold dorm meetings to discuss different things going on in the dorm. The first meeting is generally to assign different roles (like dorm jocks, who are in charge of organizing intramural sports, or food representatives, who meet weekly with dining hall staff) and get to know each other. I live in Drinkward, and since we couldn’t meet all together in person this year for Covid safety, the dorm presidents organized a scavenger hunt for us!

Each group had a mix of underclassmen and upperclassmen, and we had an hour and a half to take pictures with different landmarks around campus. We were competing for the grand prize of $15 per person for takeout–and bragging rights. There was a very large mix of tasks. One was to take a photo with every residence hall around campus, so my

Four people stand outside, attempting to spell "M u d d"
Our team attempts to spell “Mudd” for our silly photo.

team started by running to each and taking a selfie.

The tasks just got more complicated from there — one required sharing a fun fact about hammers in the Makerspace (did you know hammer-like tools were used as far back as 3.3 million years ago?) Another had us taking a silly photo on the third floor of the Shanahan Center. After not being on campus for a year due to Covid, it was really fun to rediscover places I had forgotten about (and possibly some I hadn’t known about in the first place)!

Two people doing the splits in a parking lot, one with much more success than the other.
I call this photo “I am terrible at doing the splits” (I’m on the right)

Some tasks ended up being surprisingly athletic, like the one that required us to do the splits in front of the library. Others required a knowledge of Mudd’s campus, like the task that asked us to find an interesting spot in the Libra Complex (the network of tunnels beneath the academic buildings) and take a video explaining why it was interesting.

Overall, I had a lot of fun doing the scavenger hunt, even though my team ended up coming nowhere close to winning!

Written by Malia Morgan