Meet the Social Media Interns: Liza Gull

Hi! My name is Liza and I am a sophomore from Santa Cruz, CA considering an Independent Program of Study in Climate Science. I’m living in East Dorm this semester and spending my free time playing frisbee, going to the Claremont Farmers market, and getting lost in the Libra Complex.

When I first started thinking about college applications I thought I wanted to get as far away from California as possible. I had a checklist in my head of what my perfect college would look like. After spending a summer at UC Berkeley I realized I wanted my college to be undergrad only–both for abundant research opportunities and professors who actually wanted to

Liza holding a frisbee running by another player

Playing Ultimate Frisbee

teach. I also knew that with a high school graduating class of forty-two students I wanted my college to be very small. Some more arbitrary boxes on my checklist were that the campus had to be flat (my experience of running from the bottom of Berkeley’s campus to the top in less than ten minutes definitely influenced that) and be within 30 minutes of a Trader Joe’s (I just can’t get enough of the dark chocolate peanut butter cups). More

Two people holding a small robot in front of a water tank

Liza (and lab partner) with their Intro to Engineering robot

reasonably, as someone who played ultimate frisbee very seriously in high school, I needed to find a school with an ultimate team that would make it to nationals. The Claremont Colleges struck a nice balance of having the competitive sports and abundance of resources of a large university but Mudd was a small enough school for me to feel like I am an important part of the community.

As a sophomore who has spent this last month on campus I feel even more confident in choosing Mudd. I have never felt so inspired and welcome…or busy. Mudd is an amazing place that already feels like home and I cannot wait for every frisbee game, study session at the koi pond, or late night adventure in the Libra Complex to come.