Pumping Mudd’s Artbeat

HMC is buzzing with excitement as we are in the midst of spring break and getting ready to release decisions for the Class of 2019! First-year Zayra Lobo took some time out of her spring break to share her experiences with the arts at HMC. Without further ado, here’s Zayra!

Hello, World! I’m Zayra Lobo, a Harvey Mudd freshman writing for the Admissions Blog for the first time. As I’m writing this for you guys, we’re enjoying our Spring Break, giving me and other Mudders a chance to breathe and look at what we have coming up in our lives at school.

Room Draw, the process by which we determine our housing for the next school year, is fast approaching. I currently live in Case, the pinkest (and best!) dorm, though I actually don’t spend much time there. I usually hang out in the Platt Campus Center (or just Platt) with my friends. We like to call ourselves the “Platt Frosh”. We think we’re pretty cool.

Some of my fancy friends dressed up for the Thanksgiving Dinner at the Hoch (our dining hall) last semester.

The Platt Frosh all set for Winter Break. What a motley crew.

Fun Fact #1: Some of the Platt Frosh and I recently started a band. It happened because an organization called Noise Floor, a student group dedicated to supporting the artistic community at Mudd, held an Open Mic Night in early March. I encouraged my friends to throw something together with me, and we performed “Holiday” by Green Day and “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay on the performance night. We called ourselves One Night Only (dooming ourselves to be one-hit wonders from the start). We practiced at least once a week in Jam Soc (Jam Society) in the basement of Platt, and we had so much fun doing it that we decided to stick together (not just for One Night Only)! Maybe college bands are a bit cliché, but who knows, maybe you’ll be catching us on tour in your hometown soon.

A rare look at a One Night Only jam sesh down in Jam Soc. I’m blocking our lead guitarist from the camera. Typical.

Our unofficial band logo, designed by our lead guitarist. #streetcred

So yes, Mudders don’t just study all the time. Oddly enough, we also don’t just like math and science. Fun Fact #2: One of my favorite classes this semester is my HSA 010 Critical Inquiry course. A required class in the Humanities (or, as Mudders call them, “Hums”) for second semester freshmen, HSA 010 courses are differentiated by the topic they focus on (i.e. all freshmen complete the same assignments, but the topic they write about depends on the class they are in). My class is about walking. For once, I am not joking. We study walking in its many forms: walking as political protest, as support for charity, as a mode of transportation, as a way to build relationships, and as everything in between.

Fun Fact #3: Jackson Pollock created his distinctive art by walking. He actually walked around the canvas, spraying paint but controlling the splatter to paint his artwork. In fact, when the student in my class who is studying Pollock presented his research to us, he had us spend a good fifteen minutes in front of the Shanahan Art Gallery making our own Pollock-esque work of art. We actually got to experience what we were studying, hands-on (a very Mudd thing to do).

A blank canvas and 17 Mudders (plus Prof. Fandell) waiting to unleash their artistic wrath.

So it begins…

So it begins…

D-d-d-drop the paint!

D-d-d-drop the paint!

Prof. Fandell takes a spin with the purple.

Our creation from a birds-eye view.

Our creation from a birds-eye view.

This has been Fun Facts with Zayra. Tune in next time to get more dirty (or should I say, MUDDy?) secrets about life down here in Claremont.

Stay awesome,

Zayra