Clubs!

August 11, 2014, by Sophia Williams

As a tour guide and a Senior Intern, I’m always asked questions about what clubs. So, I thought I would write a blog entry about a few of Harvey Mudd College’s clubs and activities. At Harvey Mudd College, we have 1-College clubs (1C clubs) where only Harvey Mudd students can participate and we have 5-College clubs (5C clubs) where students from all the schools in the consortium can participate. This article describes several of 1C clubs in blurbs written by members of the clubs. These are just a few of the many clubs that we have at the colleges.

MUDDRAKER

Description by Tamara Savage

1. What, in your own words, is Muddraker?

The Muddraker is Mudd’s student newspaper.

1. What do you do during club meetings?

Most of what we do is online. We edit via Google Docs and communicate mostly through email. Usually smaller groups meet, to create the layout, copy edit articles, or send out subscriptions.

1. What events do you hold?

We don’t have events per se…. We usually publish twice a semester.

1. Why did you choose to become involved with the club?

I started writing articles during my sophomore year and became co-Editor-in-Chief last year.

DUCK!

Description by Priya Donti

1. What, in your own words, is Duck!?

Duck! is Harvey Mudd’s improvisational team, but more informally, you could say we’re a  group of friends that likes to hang out and improvise.

1. What do you do during club meetings?

During club meetings, we play games and do exercises that help us build up our improvisational skills. We focus on things like character building, setting a scene, and responding to “offers” (information that helps progress the story) that the other improvisors make. Sometimes, we also participate in events such as improv festivals off-campus so we can learn from other teams.

1. What events do you hold?

We love holding shows. Whenever it strikes our fancy, we pull together a couple of people from the club, decide on a date, and perform for the student body. We also hold a few more formal events such as Improf, where professors improv with some of the club’s senior members, as well as Improvathon, a 24-hour long show.

Because I was bad at improv! I was never someone who was particularly good at thinking on my feet, and so when I heard about Duck!, I decided to check it out. And I’ve had a lot of fun! I’ve definitely gotten more comfortable on stage since my first club meeting.

CHEESE CLUB

Description by Coline Devin

1. What, in your own words, is Cheese club?

Cheese Club is an open gathering of people who want to eat cheese.

1. What do you do during club meetings?

During meetings, the presidents serve the set of cheeses they chose for the week to everyone who comes by. Some students stay for the entire meeting to compare the different cheeses; other students just stop by for a quick bite. Discussions and debates are highly encouraged, as well as coming up with entertaining names to describe the stranger cheese options. The long-standing anti-alpine faction likens gruyere and compte to unsavory parts of the body, while the pro-alpines describe them as “pleasantly nutty”.

1. What events do you hold?

The only events the cheese club has held so far are meetings every 2 weeks, but we are looking into other options for next year: visiting a creamery or making cheese ourselves.

I personally wanted to become involved with Cheese Club because I love eating cheese, talking about cheese, smelling cheese, choosing cheese, holding cheese, carrying 5 pounds of cheese across campus, etc. Cheese is great.

ESW/MOSS

Description by Priya Donti

1. What, in your own words, is ESW/MOSS?

ESW/MOSS is Harvey Mudd’s all-purpose environmental club. Our goal is to make campus, the local community, and the global community more sustainable, and we do this through both technical and non-technical projects. This past year, we worked with other students, faculty, staff, and the administration on projects such as a Green Fund, composting, getting an electric vehicle charging station on campus, and an Energy Competition.

1. What do you do during club meetings?

During club meetings, we start by eating dinner and hanging out as a club while giving project updates. Sometimes, we have a special speaker or guest as well. Then, we split up into project teams and work on our respective projects. We get a lot done while also having fun!

1. What events do you hold?

We hold events for the student body such as the Energy Competition, miscellaneous bonding events and performances during Earth Week, and a movie series. Historically, we’ve also held a speaker series. And this fall, we’ll be hosting a challenge called Project Green Challenge — stay tuned!

Environmental sustainability is important, and it’s a lot of fun to work on! I joined the club because I figured it would be a great way to give back to my community, and I stayed because I felt like ESW/MOSS allowed me to make a meaningful difference. It doesn’t hurt that the people in the club are really cool.