The F.W. Olin Science Center, a gift of the F.W. Olin Foundation, is a three-story building completed in 1992. It houses the biology and computer science departments, and instructional facilities.
Beckman Hall was built in 1991 with a gift from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. It is part of an underground facility which connects the F. W. Olin Science Center and Galileo Hall. Beckman Hall houses classrooms, laboratories, computer facilities for the computer science department and other departments.
The W.M. Keck Laboratories, a four-story building constructed with a gift from the W.M. Keck Foundation, houses the Department of Physics, classrooms, laboratories and a computer terminal room.
Formerly a library facility, the five-story building houses new Digital Learning Studios on the first floor. The offices of the Dean of Faculty are on the fourth floor, and workspaces for the computer science and mathematics departments are located on the second and third floors, respectively.
The building was a gift of Dr. and Mrs. Norman F. Sprague Jr. in memory of Dr. Sprague’s father. It was built in 1970 as part of Project Libra.
Parsons Engineering Building, named in honor of Ralph M. Parsons, is a three-story building housing the Department of Engineering, the Engineering Clinic, and the Department of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Arts.It was completed in 1972 as part of Project Libra. A new wing was added to the building in 1992, housing the W. M. Keck Foundation Engineering Design Center, the Frank L. Scott Clinic Room, instructional laboratories, and facilities for faculty research and the Engineering Clinic.
Galileo Hall rooms are named Pryne, McAlister and Edwards. It was named for the Galileo Society, an organization of local residents who take an active interest in the College, and was constructed in 1972 as part of Project Libra.
The Case foyer, which acts as an entrance to Galileo Hall, serves as an informal meeting place for many College functions.
The Jacobs Science Center, a gift of Dr. and Mrs. Joseph J. Jacobs, is a three-story building housing offices and laboratories for the chemistry department.
It was designed by the architectural team of Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone and was completed in December of 1959.
320 E. Foothill Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711
HMC’s newest facility provides flexible and technologically-advanced classrooms, lecture halls, faculty offices and public spaces to support the widest range of pedagogies and learning styles.
It is also home to the Office of the President, Office of Admission and Financial Aid and the Department of Mathematics.
Kingston Hall is a two-story building constructed in 1961 as part of a two-building project funded by the Harvey S. and Mildred E. Mudd Foundation, Mrs. Frederick Kingston, and Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Garrett.
Kingston Hall was designed by Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone. Kingston Hall houses the offices of the president, the Office of Admission and Financial Aid, Business Affairs, and College Advancement.
The Joseph B. Platt Campus Center was named for the founding president. It houses Jay’s Place (for late night snacks), the student mail room, and various student services including the Registrar, Dean of Students, Career Services, Institutional Diversity, Facilities and Maintenance, and Upward Bound.
It was designed by the architectural team of Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone and was completed in 1963.
Designed by NTD Architects, the Hoch-Shanahan Dining Commons was built in 2005 over the area where the Scripps College swimming pool used to be.
The commons is the second facility at Harvey Mudd College certified under LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) guidelines. The dining facility was named for trustees Richmond J. Hoch ’63 and his wife, Diane, and R. Michael Shanahan and his wife, Mary.
With more than 28,000 square feet, the dining commons features open exhibition kitchen areas, seating for nearly 500, a state-of-the art pizza oven, and a rotisserie oven.
Hoch-Shanahan offers five private dining rooms, two dining patios, supporting kitchen and storage spaces, along with office space and locker rooms for the 50 employees who prepare meals and serve more than 1,600 diners each day.
Marks Hall is a two-story student residence hall named for David X. Marks.
It was built in 1968 and houses 72 students in primarily three- and four-person suites. These suites each have small single rooms, a living area and bathroom. South also has double rooms that are reserved for first-year students.
An air-conditioned dorm, South is equipped with a small kitchen and a central lounge with a large television.
West Hall was the second student residence hall built for the Harvey Mudd College campus. It was designed by Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone following the same basic plan they had used for Mildred E. Mudd Hall (East) Hall. West Hall was completed in September 1958 and was made possible by a gift from the Seeley W. Mudd Foundation.
West, like North and East, houses 88 people in air-conditioned single and double rooms. It has bathrooms between sets of rooms and has a main lounge that serves as a center for social life at the dorm.
North Hall was the third residence hall built for the College campus. It was designed by Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone following the same basic plan they used for the Mildred E. Mudd Hall/East Hall and West Hall. It was completed by September 1959 and was made possible by a gift from the Seeley W. Mudd Foundation.
Like East and West Dorms, North Dorm houses 88 people in single and double rooms. Bathrooms are located between pairs of rooms.
Mildred E. Mudd Hall was the first building constructed on the Harvey Mudd College campus and was named for the wife of Harvey S. Mudd.
This student residence hall was designed by the architectural team of Earl Heitschmidt and Edward Durell Stone and consists of a U-shaped two-story building built around an open courtyard. It was started in the spring of 1957 and was completed in September 1957, just in time for the first entering class. It was constructed using a new technique called “lift slab” created by the Ford J. Twaits Company.
The dormitory houses 88 students in single and double rooms. There is a bathroom between pairs of air-conditioned rooms. The main lounge acts as the centerpiece of the dorm community.
The Ronald and Maxine Linde Activities Center, more commonly known as “the LAC,” was completed in 1997.
This recreation center offers students a gym, indoor basketball courts, a ping pong table, a pool table, an entertainment system, and access to movies and TV shows through streaming services.
In addition, there is an exercise room with free-weights as well as cardio and weight lifting machines. Located upstairs is the LAC Computer Lab, as well as two conference rooms (Riggs and Baker Room).
Before the president’s house was built, the president and his family lived in a private house owned by the Claremont Men’s College (now Claremont McKenna College).
The new president’s house was designed by Los Angeles architect Henry Eggers, and was completed in 1959.
The house was built using funds from the Garrett Fund established by Leroy and Marian Garrett.
Frederick and Susan Sontag Residence Hall is the College’s newest dorm and opened in the fall of 2004.
Sontag Hall was the eighth LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified residence hall in the country and the first in California. It was constructed with funds from Rick Sontag ’64, and his wife, Susan.
Sontag houses 76 students in single and double rooms arranged in suites. Each suite has a full kitchen. Sontag Hall also has apartments designed for married or domestic partner couples with children.
The J. L. Atwood Residence Hall was built in 1981. It is a three-story dormitory which houses 120 students.
The majority of the rooms adjoin one of the 12 identical suites. Each suite has a living area, two large bathrooms, two double and four single rooms. The remaining 12 double rooms open directly onto the center courtyard. Six of these rooms have efficiency kitchens.
Atwood features rooms with sliding glass doors, balcony-style patios, and individual air conditioners. Atwood also sports a recreation room with a pool table.
Case Residence Hall is a two-story student dormitory built in 1985. It has single and double rooms that open into four L-shaped interior corridors.
Each “L” houses 24 people, accounting for Case’s original capacity of 96. Each also has a locking door at each end, and three communal bathrooms (with lockers for personal belongings).
Case features air-conditioned rooms and a central kitchen.
A gift from Ronald and Maxine Linde allowed this hall’s construction in 1993. It consists of 12 six-person suites. Each suite has a living area, bathroom, and double and single rooms. There are also two four-person apartments which are popular among upperclass students.
Linde is air-conditioned and has a spacious lounge, kitchen and study rooms.