Tanja Srebotnjak, PhD, is the inaugural director of the Hixon Center for Sustainable Environmental Design. Her research interests focus on the development and application of statistical methods for describing and analyzing a range of environmental issues, including the environmental and health risks associated with hydraulic fracturing in California, the spatial analysis of ecosystem service hotspots, mapping sustainability networks, and designing effective urban green infrastructure. Trained as a statistician, she began her professional career at the United Nations Statistics Division in New York where she developed indicators and methods for official environmental statistics and later completed her doctoral research in environmental statistics and policy at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies in 2007. She serves as associate editor for Environmetrics and Population Health Metrics.
Prior to coming to Harvey Mudd College Srebotnjak worked for the German environmental think tank Ecologic Institute and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). Her work included projects for the German Federal Environment Agency and several directorates at the European Union concerning the existence and identification of irreversible environmental tipping points, the development of a EU environmental pressure index and the estimation of the environmental disease burden in Germany. While at NRDC she researched the health risks associated with unconventional energy development in the U.S.
- hmc.edu, 1/10/17 Team Studies Monetary Impacts of Germany’s Environmental Health Burden
- hmc.edu, 9/25/17 Hixon Center Turns Two
- hmc.edu, 9/11/17 Srebotnjak Speaks to UN Pomona Valley about Climate Change Action
- hmc.edu, 7/25/17 Hixon Center Co-hosts Workshop on Sustainability in the Curriculum at 5Cs
- hmc.edu, 10/17/16 Srebotnjak Visits Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies in Potsdam, Germany
- Forbes, 10/4/16 Colleges Advance Sustainability
- South Los Angeles Report, 11/19/15 South LA Youth, Non-profits Sue City Over Oil Drilling
- hmc.edu, 10/21/14 Harvey Mudd Establishes New Professorship in Sustainable Environmental Design