Each ASHMC member gives $275 out of their tuition to support ASHMC as a whole. This means that the ASHMC Council has roughly a $220,000 starting budget to give back to the student body during the year. ASHMC then funds clubs, events, student projects or anything else that benefits the Mudd student body. In addition, each dorm gets $10 for each of its residents to fund dorm-related activities.
Any student who is a Mudder or in a club with Mudders, that wants to do something that will benefit Mudders, can request funds of any reasonable amount by coming up with a budget and presenting it to the ASHMC Council. If the amount is over $1500, whether the money is allocated is put to a vote by the entire student body during the next scheduled election. Be sure to keep that timeline in mind if you're going to request over $1500.
You can also check out how the process works from previous minutes.
Opportunities for club funding
Every April, 5C clubs can request money from each applicable college. 5C Clubs only need to attend this and use the 5C Clubs Budget Request Form.
In May, Mudd clubs can request money for the next school year. Each club comes with a budget request meant to cover all the foreseeable costs for the upcoming school year. Use the Budget Request Form.
If you missed Club Budgeting or need more funding, just prepare a budget request for one of the regular ASHMC meetings, held Sundays at 4 p.m. in the LAC Riggs Room. Use the Budget Request Form.
Opportunities for non-club funding
You can still request funds even if you're not affiliated with a club. You just have to be doing something that will benefit some or all of the Mudd student body. Just prepare a budget request for one of the regular ASHMC meetings.
How to request funding
For information on how to start a club, click here.
1. Fill out a Budget Request Form.
2. E-mail the the President asking to be put on the agenda for the next meeting by Wednesday at 4 p.m. Meetings are Sundays at 4 p.m. in the LAC Riggs Room.
3. Present your budget request to the Council. Be sure to bring 19 copies of your budget request.
4. You will be notified of whether your budget request is approved within a few days.
Budget Request Form (PDF): To request funds from ASHMC
Sample Budget Request Form (PDF): Example of a budget request
5C Budget Request Form (Doc): For 5C clubs to request funds at 5C Budgeting (April)
Sample Audit (Excel Spreadsheet): Example of a detailed audit
Some examples of things funded
- competitions, e.g. the Awesome Things Competition, run by ToolSHMC (small groups of students are given $75 to make awesome things),
- a 5C music festival,
- a vegetable garden for the school (GardenSHMC),
- a digital recorder for the Honor Board,
- the student newspaper (The Muddraker),
- New athletic equipment (balls, mats for Brazilian Jujitsu),
- Art showings run by MUCC (Mudd Creative Collective),
- Annual Red Dress Run by Hash House Harriers (HHH),
- Magazines for the student body in Platt,