Sunday, 4:00PM, September 16, 2012
Riggs Room, Linde Activities Center
ABSENT: Linde, Off-Campus
VP – Running an election, lots of people running for frosh president (4 candidates, lots in pairs) and junior honor board, appeals board. We also need to vote on budget items.
South – Nothing to report.
JB Chair – All is well with honor code.
Juniors – Doing quite well.
North – Fine.
Case – Fine.
East – Good.
Atwood – Fine.
Seniors – All good.
West – Nothing to report.
Social – Good, catholic seemed okay and foam is next weekend. Biggest thing coming up is we are implementing card swipe from parties, we are trying to be more fair with which schools we give money to.
Sophomores – Everything is good.
Athletics – Now we have free weights! Working on getting a personal trainer on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the LAC, anyone interested can sign up.
Sontag – We haven’t reached quorum on whether Najla will be copresident.
DAC – Currently in discussion with F&M about new cardswipe policy to make it more satisfactory.
CAP – No real updates, finished writing checks for summer events.
Treasurer – Sent an email about dorm & committee money, you’ll get that early next week. I made a website for the treasury to get rid of written documents.
El Greco Charter Request
It’s an arts & crafts club for people to do creative projects together. We will also have supplies for personal projects for students and they can post it around campus. Monthly we will have art lessons as a group. We don’t have a budget yet.
Do you have a rough number of interest from club fair?
60ish at the club fair.
There was an art club last year?
They don’t exist anymore. There are a bunch of materials down in the LAC that we are hoping to utilize.
Do you have a mailing list yet?
We created one but it hasn’t been approved yet.
Why the name El Greco?
It’s a famous artist who we thought was cool.
Do you have a non-discrimination clause in the charter?
No but we won’t discriminate.
Where would the art be displayed?
JB Chair – It seems like a good outlet for students.
Treasurer – We need to have a way to get rid of clubs that aren’t active any more like MUCC.
Motion to approve charter contingent on nondiscrimination clause
Combat Robot Club Charter
We are going to design and build a combat robot to compete in the spring.
Is it autonomous?
No. Also we are going for a middle weight robot, it would be about 110 pounds.
Do you have a preliminary membership?
We have about 80 people on our mailing list right now. I’ve talked to a lot of people who are interested.
Are you planning to share space with fab studio?
Yes, but we won’t need that much space for the first semester.
We aren’t looking for members who have a lot of experience, we’ll be doing a lot of research first semester.
Have you tried the Shanahan fund?
We would need the money second semester and we haven’t really looked into it yet.
How many man hours do you expect to be put in?
We will probably meet around once a week. Its hard to say how long design and building will take.
Motion to approve club charter
(14, 0, 4)
Combat Robot Club Budget Request
We would need at least this for a decent robot. It is a sample purchase order for supplies we would need. I put two sources for how much other robots tend to cost. We are trying things out for first semester and then we would have an exact plan for second semester.
Why is competition fee for first semester?
We need to enter first semester.
Are there parts you could scavenge (underwater robotics)?
No, it was PVC pipe mostly.
At what time would you actually need to start buying materials?
We would probably buy motors as early as next week to start doing testing.
Which items on here would last longer than one competition?
The motors, batteries. The expensive parts are mostly reusable. Armor plating probably wouldn’t be reusable.
How are you going to work with so many people? Even half (40 people)?
We might enter more robots in the lighter weight autonomous class. At least 10-20 people could work on the medium weight robot.
Would you come back with numbers on people who participated 2nd semester?
West – Is this a reasonable budget?
VP – They are going to need a lot more money.
Social – We can’t give them more than they ask for, so we should give them what they ask for and then they can come back when they need more.
South – Both have had experience with first robotics, so I think they know how much it is going to cost.
DAC – I don’t feel comfortable giving almost 2000 to a club that is so new. I would suggest 200 or 300 to start out and then they can test more.
West – How much are we allowed to give per person?
Social – Around 100.
West – The only real issue that I see is that they might have more people than they have jobs for.
East - In order to do testing, they are going to need everything on the electronics list.
Social – I don’t want to hinder them by not giving them this budget. I know the presidents are really dedicated and we tend to support clubs that are going to look good for the school. We have done this in the past for clubs with slightly larger budgets.
President – 1500 is the cap on what they can spend until the rest gets approved.
Treasurer – We have 19000 in the operating budget. LTF is 15000.
Motion to approve 1800 conditional on student vote (1500 now)
(11, 1, 6)
We are asking for reimbursement for travel and registration fees. This is the cost for the mudder we sent.
This is a 5C club?
If we don’t pay all of this will some of your club budget go back to this?
Most of the money we spend during the year is on registration fees. If you don’t pay for this, we will come back and ask for more money for those fees.
How much money did you receive during the last budgeting?
This would have been a cost on last year’s budget.
President – This is the 3rd time their request has been rescheduled.
West – I feel fine reimbursing this contingent on the fact that they book flights much earlier. It seems like they are going to deal with CMC costs through CMC.
Treasurer – I don’t feel comfortable reimbursing for food, this is around 5 meals. Also this is double their original budget.
Social – This person would have to show us receipts. This is a lot of money for one person.
DAC – This is absurdly high for one person. I don’t like doing retroactive budget. I will never vote in favor of going over 200 limit.
President – The fact that it is retroactive isn’t entirely their fault.
Juniors – Can we pretend that this is a future event and budget accordingly?
West – They did this before club budgeting with assumption that we would pay it, so I have to agree that if we approve it this time, people will just spend money and then try to get us to reimburse it later. If they knew they were going to incur these costs with the goal of going to this competition, they should have asked us at the beginning of the year. I know it’s partially our fault, but it still would have been retroactive when they first came to us.
East – They communicated earlier that this was sort of how their budget works. There were questions about whether it was fair to send only a few people for a club of 30, but they explained that everyone is rooting for the few people.
Atwood – We shouldn’t punish the student for mismanagement of the club. It’s no fault of hers that she is now down this much money.
DAC – We already have this precedent, we shouldn’t be condoning this retroactive activity. I’m not saying we don’t cover all of this, I think we should cover registration.
Treasurer – What is the opinion on Mudders going to competitions to represent our school? Are we going to become a conference sponsor? I don’t feel like ASHMC should be a safety net.
Juniors – Are there other places we can get money?
West – I think the club leadership should foot everything but the registration.
East – Can we tell leadership to
Motion to approve 175 to cover registration fee
(6, 5, 5)
Motion to approve 300 for flight plus hotel plus registration – 600 total
(6, 7, 5)
Seniors - Can we defer and ask her to come in? Can we also make sure that they are asking the same amount from CMC.
West – Can we have club presidents come in and explain how they will guarantee that this will never happen again
Motion to table
Motion to approve last week’s minutes