ASHMC Meeting 4/11/10
Linde Activities Center
Sophs- Talked to F&M. Boards to post agendas and budgets are going really well, F&M is pricing them and going to get back to Margaret and Bryan.
Social -Rescheduling Caltech party. Was same day as Slippery.
Athletics - Good. Funding the Ball in the LAC that was destroyed. Dorms/jocks talk to me about receipts for dorm athletic funds.
West - good. TQ Day Saturday
Juniors - good
Atwood - good.
Case - good
DAC - good
Sontag-good. Dorm meeting, talked about athletics and new positions.
Treasurer- good. Probably going to cut off new check requests about two weeks before the end of finals week, so no budget stuff during finals. Up to next year's treasurer.
VPs - 5C budgeting this weekend. Looks like we're giving out the same amount as last year. Trying to favor clubs that Mudders would like. Had a Friday forum this past Friday about potential bylaw changes, not particularly successful. Going to send out an unofficial ballot to council about how to deal with proposed bylaw changes, so we're prepared for an official vote next meeting. Just reached quorum in our Student Body election, will be announcing results tomorrow night.
Seniors - Looking at possibilities for an event for senior week. Not Vegas.
Nick Hasegawa - Poker Club Budget Proposal
Meet once a week. Play for poker, our own money, casual. Trying to attract more people to the club (using beginner tutorials, games for less cash, etc.). Didn't really work. Trying once more to do an event HMC Poker Championship (freeroll à no buy in). Probably max 60 people. May 8th is likely. Platt or Green Room. Freeroll, so prizes provided by ASHMC funding. Moderate refreshments and music.
Donald - Have you thought about using the less-good quality chips in the LAC? About 8 boxes.
Nick - That's about 800, we want about 1000, and all to be the same type. That's why we're buying an entirely new, worse, set, that's larger than our really nice set of 500ish.
Toli - Wouldn't it be better just to buy more of the same type you already have
Matt- How many people?
Nick - 20 easily at our free roll tournaments. If we make this a bigger deal, I expect up to 60ish.
Discussion and Action
Maureen - Comments or concerns?
Strieter - About $7000 left for the rest of this year.
Elly -When does rollover occur?
Strieter - End of semester-ish, not well defined.
Elly - Can we allocate more for nicer chips?
Caro - Yes, and can that be out of long-term? How much left?
Strieter - $6,000 if we have a tax liability, $21,000 if no tax liability.
Shawn - Whatever we don't use this year goes into long-term? That's a lot.
Denis moves to approve Poker Club Additional Budget of $421
Maureen - Discussion of payment
Maureen - Can we even talk about paying students-l moderator, because it's not explicitly stated in by-laws?
Strieter - We always pay them, so let's just pay them. I think it's $400 per semester. I wrote a check for 400 last semester of last year.
Bryan - What positions are we paying?
Strieter- Yearbook, Mudd Software Development (MSD), Executive Assistant, Students-l moderator
Maureen - ASHMC agreed to pay MSD $500 two years ago. Didn't know how long the project would take.
Toli - Need to figure out who worked on it.
Bryan- If we give money to Bryce I bet he can figure it out.
Maureen - Might want it to go to club. But we're going to give the club money anyway. I don't like that.
Strieter - Anyone know how many hours it took? How many people?
Nick- Bryce's done a lot about fixing the last minute stuff.
Strieter- They bought hardware last year. But did they do much last year?
Donald - He doesn't want to get paid, and we can't tell who worked on it, so let's just go with what a previous ASHMC president promised.
Nick -Anyone notice problems with the system?
Hufsa- My class had a problem with the server.
Nick - That was with server, not system.
Margaret - No write-ins.
Nick - Yeah, problem. Maybe abstain there and have another spot for it? But then they could vote in both... and what about choosing multiple people.
Denis- what are we discussing now? Can we just pay Bryce?
Nick - Perhaps incentive for continued work?
Bryan - Is there a number two guy?
Denis - He seems to have taken the lead.
Matt - Let's just give him five hundred, say he could allocate to who could afford it.
Strieter- five seems low. Students-l gets 8.
Denis - If we want an estimate we should ask Bryce. I can tell Bryce to show up next time.
Donald- As a metric, we could say that a standard pay rate for seniors is $9.50 or $10 an hour. Find out how much time, then pay him a minimum of $500.
Maureen - Holding off on this until next week. Students-l, 800 total.
Hufsa motions to approve previously paid amounts to Students-l moderator and executive assistant
Maureen - I thought yearbook stipend come outs of their paycheck?
Strieter - I paid them last year
Alyssa - They can't sign their own check
Caro - Last year Liz was yearbook and ASHMC treasurer, that's why she couldn't sign her own check.
Discussion of Bylaws
Nick- we can discuss now but we're going to send an email out with proposed changes just to get ideas. Be responsible for talking to your own constituency because Friday forum wasn't successful. We were there until about 7, and it was supposed to be 6-8, and no one was showing up, so we took off to do 5C budgeting stuff. To be put on the ballot -rescheduling ASHMC meetings, cancelling ASHMC meetings, election procedures, changing the order of yearly elections, all the appointed positions, new completely redrafted article talking about student organizations. Later tonight I'll send out the ballot to ASHMC people only, and we can vote on it informally.
Maureen - any questions now?
Shawn - You want us to talk this over with our dorms and then vote on it?
Nick -look over ballot first to see what proposed options are. For example, cancelling meetings. Based on agenda, no agenda, or online vote, or what? Basically talk to your constituency.
Shawn - When to close election?
Nick - Before next meeting.
Maureen - Mostly doing electronic thing because two weeks ago people were concerned that we weren't talking to student body. But Friday forum failed.
Donald - Was there a students-l email with this document?
Nick - No, sorry. Send it out soon. Was handed out at Friday Forum.
Maureen - Changing sect 5, no DAC secretary yet.
Alyssa - Yeah DAC Chair just grabs someone to do it. Someone interested. Tossed around idea of maybe Executive Assistant could. But if they're not available for DAC then it shouldn't limit them from getting Executive Assistant job. Ideally if ASHMC EA was open to idea of being secretary then we would, otherwise we'd find someone else.
Donald - would we be adding this as a paid position?
Matt -It's Bryan's birthday, I think we should sing!
Maureen -I think we should pay them
Donald - So the EA attends meetings and takes minutes... how long to pay them, how long are meetings?
Alyssa- We limit meetings to an hour. We have no budget, would have to be ASHMC paying.
Matt - Why not a round robin of dorm presidents?
Alyssa- I like that, I don't feel great adding a position. Maybe add it if we find somebody interested.
Maureen - Also, Office of Institutional Diversity representative not needed. Unofficially had one for past few years, but don't do anything. OID has a student committee.
Donald motions to remove DAC secretary and OID rep. from ballot
Maureen - Anything else?
Nick - No that's it. Look at ballot when it comes. Because of system, everyone in ASHMC will be able to vote. If possible try to limit it so one person from each position votes.
Shawn - Can you cancel an opened ballot?
Bryan - Or don't email it to council-l?
Caro - We have honor code. It's fine.
Nick - Should be fine. Not an official vote.
Maureen - I have 400 dollars at my discretion. Any issues with types of food email me. Incoming and outgoing ASHMC dinner.
Donald -Buca di Beppo or Sushi Cruise!
Matt- who's in charge of CAP over the summer?
Karla - Don't know, usually a CAP chair that's staying for the summer.
Maureen - Dean Chris usually picks someone.
Matt - Usually Taylor Neiman.
Maureen - We'll ask new CAP chairs if either of them are staying for the summer. Otherwise Dean Chris will find someone.
Matt - Mudd Club budgeting - new ASHMC?
Maureen - After we're gone, in two weeks maybe.
Strieter- Probably 25th.
Maureen - We're asking all clubs to fill out an audit. Asking for electronic version of charters including new people in leadership positions. Over summer DOS worker can put them online.
Matt - Maybe we should think about forming an alcohol committee. Other schools have them where they fund alcohol.
Bryan - Not sure if its something we can do. At Pomona, to register a keg, they go to alcohol funds to ask.
Donald - new senior gift!
Bryan - not enough money
Maureen - Continuing, not sure if we could do that, a lot of underage dues would have to go to it.
Bryan - We should find out about how the other schools do it. Other schools have stricter alcohol policies but they also have more legit ways to get around it.
Caro - Pomona is a lot stricter about who can get alcohol. I think policy and practice are related. Talked to Dean Chris about this before, our way is easier.
Toli - If coming through Alumni, that would be good.
Bryan - I can find out more about how CMC does it
Caro - I already know how they do it. Shouldn't do it that way.
Alyssa motions to approve minutes pending typo changes