ASHMC Meeting 3/7/10
Linde Activities Center
Athletics- good. NISBE dodgeball tournament (in 2 weeks)- open to people who want to make teams (CMC too possibly)
West- no major updates. Got an awesome bus. It’s currently behind west
Seniors- working on senior gifts
Social- good. Tarp stuff, making remember the tarp t-shirts
North- good. Party last night, ok besides tarp issues
Case- good. Need to talk to athletics
DAC- 30 people over housing capacity. Looking for apartments on CGU, off campus, etc
Sontag- good, had potluck
Strieter- good. Got taxes done. Non-profit status back. ASME account found—trying to recover it from state ($1000). Going to put DC on all the accounts, won’t have to change signers. Forgot to put yearbook on the budget. ($13587 left). Long term fund- used $7000 ($21,000 left)
Bryan- have we invested in the long term fund?
Strieter- no we haven’t. all we have is a checking account. Want long term account so can make money from it.
VP- there’s a lot of constitution stuff going on. Friday forum had decent turn out, productive. Sent email out with the presentation slides. There will be notes from the Friday forum going out also.
Caro- notes from constitutional convention?
Nick- going out soon. I have a proposal related to constitutional stuff which we will be getting to later today.
Jenny Iglesias - Hash House Harriers
Jenny- renew charter, new budget. About 10 people who show up every week.
Johnson- want to hold big themed hashes, get publicity. Red dress run.
Caro- what is Kevin’s on in cake?
Johnson- 50 people got cake. Birthday.
Jenny- we would like to have food at the end of each hash.
Matt- I heard there were problems with using flour.
Jenny- we have used flour earlier this year.
Johnson- off road. Lasts in rain.
Jenny- circle and arrows, so looks less sketchy.
Donald- is there any reason you can’t start a charity now?
Johnson- could. It isn’t happening for a little while.
Caro- Do you want us to subsidize all of the dresses?
Jenny- if you could only do some of it, we’d appreciate anything
Johnson- there are 11 people who wanted to do it. 8 dollars each for dresses from good will
Elly- what is the BBQ?
Jenny/Johnson- profs and beginners event
Kevin Kim - Awesome Stuff Competition
Kevin- 10 teams signed up. $75 each. Award each winner (first place, 2 runner ups). 100 for first and 50 each for runner up. Judged by non participating faculty judges. Tentative date is March 28th. Going to push it back.
Nick- what happens if you get more than 10 teams?
Kevin- cap it at 10.
Matt- how many teams participated last semester?
Kevin- under 10, probably 8
Shawn- what happened to the left over money?
Nick- works through reimbursement
Mary- people on teams?
Alyssa- dorm demographic?
Kevin- 2 dorms last semester
Grant Ukropina - HatSHMC budget proposal
Grant -had first meeting. Talked about what hats we wanted. This isn’t enough money to do everything we wanted to do. Need fundraisers.
Matt- how many people at meeting?
Mary- can anyone get the hats?
Grant- We’ll use a Google doc. Return hat in a week
Donald- where are you going to store hats?
Grant- Distribute hats to people who are hat distributers.
Donald- what happens if you don’t care so much and you leave hats at home?
Grant- the club presidents are responsible for all of the hats
Donald- what reimbursement set-ups are in place?
Jenny- waiver form
Caro- what’s the advantage of club owned hats instead of having a network of hats?
Grant- not everyone wants to lend out hats
Donald- if people aren’t willing to give out hats, are they willing to share hats?
Grant- they only want to lend out expensive hats to people they know. Not club hats
Emma- what’s the difference between hats and lending out clothing?
Jenny- entertaining to have a category by itself
Matt- do you plan on having BBQs or meetings?
Grant- hat decorating parties, hat days
Mary- suggest store hats in LAC over summer
Shawn Duenas - 3D Yearbook
- build stronger exiting community
- make first 3d yearbook in the nation that I heard of
- need two camera triggered at the same time
- dvd for computer
- pre-production, production (taking pictures), and post production (printing of book) , already done with pre production
- like student hand book. ¼ of a page, thicker
- 3 people per page. 4 pages for covers. 2 for title pages. And 6 extra random pages for signatures (total 72 pages)
- order online booklets
-buying 180 (35 cents per pair) 3d glasses- white framed
- 1500 so doesn’t have to go to student approval
Nick- who’s helping you with all of this?
Shawn- last year’s advisor, Prof Schenk. Has all the equipment. He’ll show me how to batch process
Marc- what happens if seniors not all available?
Shawn- thinking of rushing event this Friday.
Shawn- Get it done by April 16th. Need everything done by end of April. Doable.
Matt- do you have other students working with you on this?
Shawn- nope, not yet. Borrowing Jonny Simkin’s G11 and Prof Schenk’s G11. Designing and layout may take time.
Bryce- talked to yearbook committee?
Shawn- won’t help us. But don’t think it’s interfering.
Bryce- to get tips?
Shawn- will go back. Need designer for front cover.
Mary- do you need special skills to line up photos? Will it be easy for others to do?
Shawn- Just need experience with Photoshop.
Matt- have you thought about taking orders beforehand?
Shawn- I thought everyone would be fine paying for it. $8.50 per book
Alyssa- have you tried to get donations from seniors, fundraising that way?
Shawn- no, but thought about throwing an event as an incentive to go to the photo shoot
Bryan- You can use adobe N design. In ECF
Caro- in mac labs too
Camille Sultana - 5C Women's Ultimate Frisbee Team budget request
Camille- Harvey Mudd has been very generous, given more than other schools per player. I will be asking more from other schools to equalize funding. We were only expecting to only 1 competition. Regionals were moved to Colorado (regionals are nationals for us). Asking for about $270 (proportional to what was already given).
Caro- if we give you this money, what will the allocation be per player?
Alyssa- have you talked to athletics?
Camille- Not yet. First I’m talking to senates. I anticipate talking to more people, DOS and athletics.
Donald- Dean Maggie doesn’t want that to go to athletics. Talk to DOS.
Emma- do you pay team dues?
Camille- every player doesn’t pay a team due. But they pay for gas, food, uniforms, rental cars. Everyone ends up paying about $300 dollars.
Discussion and action
Hash House Harriers
Russell motions to approve charter
Caro- hashing is popular.
Marc- attracts professors
Matt moves to approve Hash House Harriers budget of $370
(16, 1, 0)
Awesome Stuff Competition
Donald moves to approve the budget of $950 for the Awesome Stuff Competition
(17, 0, 0)
Donald- Caro made a good point. Needs to benefit community in some tangible way.
Mary- They need money for making hats. Like cooking club
Caro- The cooking club is not funded
Donald- not delegitimizing them as a club
Hufsa- Making assumptions. Duty to bring people together of different interests. If we deny them, denying their passion
Nick- We aren’t denying them as a club.
Caro- I am pro decorating parties. I just think that would go under MUCC. I would be okay with giving them $30
Alyssa- Need to go through our history approving and denying this year. $175 isn’t that much. Shouldn’t be all or no funding.
Matt- They’re asking for start up costs. I think it’s hard to see how hats could bring people together. There is a pink hat club
Emma- Suit club?—setting precedent, fund them? Costs a lot more?
Alyssa- There are ways to fund this. Making hats.
Donald- consensus, we like the idea of people coming together and doing things. If we told that to them, they would come back with a budget around doing things, decorating sombreros. Against hat closet
Margaret- ties into conversation that’s come up recently- who we’re representing.
Matt- 10 dollars a person
Shawn- gives a reason to talk to people
Caro- why couldn’t they fund it themselves then? Doesn’t send good precedent
Elly- at orientation, they made a precedent I want to keep- makes our community fun and unique.
Russell- compare to ToolSHMC- same besides cost per item.
Mary- can’t just do that
Bryce- tool parties or anything?
Marc- but competition
Matt moves to approve HatSHMC budget of $175
(10, 6, 2)
Elly- We will encourage budget to be more toward community events
Alyssa- have to get other opinions because mostly seniors here
Emma- it’s good advertisement for the school
Nick- what happens when Shawn leaaves?
Margaret- I don’t feel comfortable with paying this amount of money. Maybe because I think it’s cool and I think sophomores should have one. Considering the remaining budget, I think it’s too much
Bryan- it’s cool because it’s one of the first ones
Russell- could we get office of college advancement to budget it?
Bryce- don’t have that much money
Chrissy- this isn’t the first exclusive event/thing
Matt- giving funding to one group of people isn’t a problem. Fear it won’t get done. And it is a large budget. Fear that it might fail
Mary- I don’t care or want this very much if this is what it’s going to look like
Nick- won’t look exactly like this. It’ll be better paper, etc.
Alyssa- getting this set up this year, the procedure and layout passed down is easy. It will be easy to pass down to next years, won’t need as much people in future years
Margaret- the large amount of money with this bothers me. And there’s only one person working on it. Already funding a yearbook
Russell- all of his costs come after his work. We can say don’t buy it until you’ve finished
Nick- It works through reimbursements anyway
Bryan- it looks like he’s ready to go. Put a lot of time and work into it.
Nick- look into this happening in future years
Caro- I think this is cool, stands out
Russell- can we tell him to seek out other people to help him
Caro moves to approve 3D Yearbook budget of $1500
(14, 2, 0)
Donald- might encourage him to seek underclassmen to pass on for future years
5C Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Team
Bryan moves to approve the 5C Women’s Ultimate Team’s budget of $273.42, if they cannot get money from DOS
(15, 1, 1)
Discussion about the constitution
Hufsa- Do changes to constitution have to go to student vote?
Maureen- Not the bylaws
Nick- We will be discussing dorm representation and dorm presidents vs. ASHMC reps
Donald- what’s the goal of this discussion?
Nick- Something from sections I, II, and III and it can be a fusion
Matt- I want to bring idea about recall elections (Caro’s email). It’d be 15% of students want to recall it—simple majority passes.
Nick- is there quorum for that?
Matt- there should be.
Nick- 15% for a recall election with a 51% required of those voting (2/3 quorum)
Elly- 15% in petition
Bryan- is this for all positions or just dorm presidents?
Nick- dorm presidents
Mary- why is this separate?
Nick- acknowledge autonomy of dorms
Margaret- this is just a better way of doing recalls
Bryce- historically how many ASHMC officers have been recalled?
Maureen- 0. Even with situation with the meth lab
Matt- I think that it makes it easier to facilitate a recall election
Nick motions to approve 15% constituency, 51% 2/3 quorum for removal of any ASHMC officers in bylaws
(13, 0, 3)
Bryan- I don’t like the idea of two separate positions (for president and rep). I think that can be handled through multiple presidents. I think dorm presidents should be elected in online elections.
Nick- not ready yet
Bryce- can’t separate dorms
Nick- there are dorm affiliations for off campus people. Know where $10 going toward.
Bryan- lack of faith in how elections are decided. No one really knows what’s going on, who’s counting the votes. Want it to be fairest
Maureen- Linde doesn’t have elections
Russell- Case voted. We have trouble getting people to run. Food rep was the only one with contention
Bryan- this will help a lot of the dorms. Offering a service
Shawn- I wrote a statement, election via email. Previous presidents ran it. There is no real dorm culture, so it would help. More people running.
Bryan- would you like to see that run by ASHMC?
Shawn- I just want an official vote.
Russell- we did have email vote
Chrissy- we have email elections. We had 1 actual group. I don’t think it would be an issue to switch to ASHMC election. Wouldn’t affect dorm culture
Elaine- we have an election process. We have a dorm meeting with residents of future year. We have a week to a week and a half to vote. It seems like people don’t want ASHMC to interfere.
Shawn- I think that’s the same thing as ASHMC elections
Elaine- they don’t want to go through the online thing
Bryce- We had email election. We had a bunch of people running
Matt- West does have election
Marc- East, Google spread sheet election.
Mary- how would multiple presidents be handled?
Maureen- nominate themselves as a group
Mary- does anyone see a situation?
Bryan- going to change every year
Alyssa- yeah it’s uncontested right now, but that doesn’t mean it won’t. If a group of girls wanted to run in North, they wouldn’t even be put on the ballot.
Maureen- It has worked so far pretty much. There have been issues in the past.
Matt- propose solution: dorm election run through the dorm. Dorm presidents required to email about who wants to run. Don’t want to take away from fun/culture.
Mary- invalidates other elections if have online thing
Shawn- I want some accountability to ASHMC for current presidents. Percentages, how election was run
Donald- In some cases having no oversight over elections, makes it more fun and entertaining but it doesn’t address Alyssa’s point. Should maintain traditions
Emma- this process is under DB jurisdiction.
Mary- an honor code thing would be helpful
Donald- alienating yourself from entire dorm if DB your president. Have VP handle who’s running
Mary- Send nominees to ASHMC rep and say that these need to be on the election
Alyssa- or to DAC. Students-l email, dorm elections coming up: email DAC or email dorm pres CCing DAC about running. I think that online ballots are better
Bryce- give presidents editing power online
Alyssa- need more legitimacy. There is $1600 given to dorms.
Alyssa- how do you account for counting votes?
Matt- if there are problems, recall
Bryce- survey monkey
Alyssa- use tracked votes
Donald- west is the other dorm that has this special election?
Margaret- I don’t see why we need to all agree on this to take a vote on it. Fall under DAC’s responsibility:
People nominate themselves through DAC chair
DAC chair prepares the ballot
DAC passes it to dorm
Dorm adds whatever they want to that ballot
Gives that back to DAC
DAC checks it and gives that back out
Bryan- that’s more bureaucracy than an ASHMC election
Alyssa- Counting accountability?
Minutes from 2/21
Rachid motions to approve the minutes from 2/21