ASHMC Meeting 11/08/09
Linde Activities Center
Strieter- No updates.
East- Good. Dorm meeting coming up. Fun ball soon.
Case- Good, had Jungle Party.
Linde- Good, registering Around the World.
West- Had Awesome Things Competition. Only West participated. West won! West got $100.
Frosh- Good. Working on getting people from Scripps and CMC for freshmen party. Caro/Maureen- Social only funds open parties. Come to ASHMC, not social
North- Good. LTG coming up. Selling champagne flutes in Hoch
VP’s- Went on trustees retreat this weekend. Some things they talked about: upcoming campaign, diversity, student affairs, how important student affairs are, how ASHMC is important. We want to educate a “whole person” and should do more things relating to community service. Also, it’s important for frosh and sophomores to assume leadership positions. ASHMC can mentor new students so they are more willing to take on these responsibilities.
Donald- Does Dean Maggie feel that we don’t educate a “whole person”? But we do do some of that—there are groups for community service.
Nick- If you look at schools like ours, our community service is low. There are a lot of people here that are not as satisfied about the amount of community service that they can participate in.
Donald- But there are two issues- not enough time or not enough opportunity
Nick- She wants there to be classes to integrate in this whole learning. Including ASHMC.
Donald- How would trustees help?
Emma- Contribute more resources. Feel like people aren’t that interested in running for ASHMC. So many of us ran unopposed. So we want to encourage it in younger kids.
Hufsa- Super sponsor program could be a good avenue to encourage this.
Nick- Dean Maggie did talk about this and its potential.
Emma- This year’s frosh seem happier this year. Maybe it’s due to more students in SI and maybe due to super sponsors.
Hufsa- Did they emphasize other activities besides community service? i.e. music
Nick- Want students to do things they care about. But, relating to mission statement, engaging in society is important.
Emma- Incorporate DOS into strategic campaign.
Nick- This comes from informal conversations, not necessarily Dean Maggie’s presentation at the retreat.
Emma- The presentation was also a lot about encouraging diversity too, which means DOS would provide a more welcoming environment for underrepresented students.
Nick- Want to get Dean Maggie here to go over this herself.
Hufsa- Can we have more positions that underclassmen can participate in? Then we can start them when they’re younger.
Julian- I like this idea. But a lot of the positions attract other positions. Be wary of just pushing through ASHMC a specific 5 frosh or sophomores.
Margaret- Lots of frosh and sophomores don’t know what goes on in ASHMC so this discourages them from considering positions.
Emma- We could be more active in inviting other students to meetings.
Donald- Free t-shirts
Elly- Emphasize free food.
Maureen- Dean Maggie will not be here for meetings anymore. According to the constitution, not required. She will be on call if we need her to discuss certain things.
Donald- Agree, but I like having her here. Could be really helpful. Maybe have her come once every two weeks. We can handle the issues that are more relevant to us in one week, and for the general issues that we want her to hear about, she’d be here.
Caro- Nice to hear the opinions we don’t know of of the administration. Encourage administration-student interaction. Could have another administrator come.
Nick- So we’re a little hesitant about not having her here.
Hufsa- Should come here as much as possible. See from our mindset.
Donald/Caro- Rotate the Deans to come to the meetings. Only have to come once a month or so. Needs more thought.
Emma- What happened to the buddy thing where we talk to administration every week?
Maureen- Agreed to not do it because only half of the half of people who wanted to do it actually did it.
Kali Allison- Sewing Club Charter Approval and Budget Request
-Not an official ASHMC club yet.
-Ten people at meetings on a regular basis
-Mostly using Prof. Sparks’ materials. Would hold the club stuff there.
Kali- Every Thursday for three hours
Kali- About 25 people on sewing-l. Same 6 sophomores come every other week. Sometimes a couple freshmen come.
Emma- Sell something or put on display?
Kali- We can. But been we’ve been sewing things for ourselves.
Donald- Internal fundraising?
Kali- Nope. But we could. We do pay for some of our own stuff and extra scraps go into a group pile.
Discussion and Action
Julian motions to approve Sewing Club charter
Madeleine- Reasonable budget.
Julian- Prof. Sparks keeps this club active. Will be active for many years.
Caro- Can we take it out of long-term fund?
Caro motions to take $300 out of long-term fund for Sewing Club budget
Constitutional Changes Discussion
Maureen- A couple of weeks ago, we talked about the things that are messed up in the constitution. i.e. social vs ASHMC, nothing about vice presidents, but then talks about their existence. Want to get people on campus a couple days before second semester starts in order to fix it. Needs to go to student vote. Nick, Emma, and I would go over the constitution to the study body for a couple weeks so that people understand what they’re voting on. Will send email out to remind everyone. And then another email to see who wants to participate.
Emma- How many would want to participate?
Maureen- Based on the number of people who just raised their hands, a good amount.
Donald- Isn’t it easier to do with smaller groups of people?
Maureen- Split it up.
Donald- But that’s what made it inconsistent in the past.
Julian- A small group could make changes that are internally consistent and then hand it out to groups.
Donald- Ultimately it should come down to when Maureen can do it because she’s the one that wants to do it and do the campaign for it.
Maureen- Still figuring things out.
Maureen- Every year, a lot of information gets lost. Trying to fix this. Could ask juniors to be honor board chairs and make them be advisors the next year. Dean Maggie didn’t like this because it would require a two year commitment. We could also change elections to an earlier time second semester so then the chairs can see how it works, get trained, get more time to think about projects, etc.
Christina- Wouldn’t this be hard for dorm president because you don’t know who is going to be in the dorm?
Maureen- Could start small committee with ASHMC and honor board and let them figure out what works best. Do they have to be on the same schedule? What works best for each entity? This will have to be worked on in the constitution. Particularly important because all the committee chairs are seniors besides Rachid. Need continuity without requiring two year commitment. Will send another email about this.
Julian motions to approve minutes from 10/25/09 and 11/1/09
(15, 0, 3)