Linde Activities Center – Riggs Room
Sunday, November 11, 2007
East, Atwood, CAP, Sontag, Linde, Dean Noda, DAC, Social, SFC, West, North, South
East: Trying to get another bike rack.
Atwood: Going to have a dorm meeting on Tuesday to talk about the game room…and carpet samples.
Sontag: Event last night went well.
Linde: Still standing.
DAC: Going to e-mail Gender-blind subcommittee, so that’s my project for this semester.
Social: Cost is a little over $4100 for social speakers. Other costs have increased, and we might need more money, but it’s not from the speakers (for instance, getting pizza for parties) since we figured we were getting speakers this year.
SFC: Had a student-faculty happy half hour, where 30 students at 7 pies and all the faculty showed up 5 minutes after the event ended. Will get more pie next time.
North: Broomball when?
West: the 29th.
South: Nothing exciting.
West: Wild Wild West this Saturday. Got a lot of peanuts. Broomball the 29th. Probably dorm meeting on the 29th.
Anu: Linde and West have to get me their audits. And other dorms getting another set of checks soon. This is the funding allocated from last year’s remaining amount. When can you guys get it to me?
Zack: A week.
Claremont Colleges Ballroom Dance Committee Funding Request, From Rudy Resch
This is a 5C club that has about 80 members in it. Almost every year we go to an event called USA-National held in Columbus, OH. In past 6 years, we’ve gone 5 times and won each time. There’s also individual competitions.
Going again next week; 3 Mudders on the competition team. Need to pay for getting there, and staying there, and fees associated with that.
Each student is putting $200 themselves to help pay for this, but we need some way to pay for the rest of it. And also the rest of the students are putting $200 and are getting funding from various other sources. So, the total for the 3 of us, is $1740 after we’ve contributed our $200 each.
Asking for that, but any amount would be appreciated.
Jesus: In order to give you more than $1500, we’d have to put it to
Anu: Already allocated $700 for the year.
The only time we make money is when we have a big concert at the end of the year during Alumni Weekend. We have salsa dancing every week, parties every month, big festival coming soon. But most if not all of that is free, so the only time we get money is from the end of the year.
Anu: What happens to the money at the end of the year?
Rudy: Goes towards paying for everything we spent, and towards the director’s salaries.
Hannah: Nothing left over, generally. We start from scratch every year.
Lindsay: What’s the selection process for picking the competition team?
Rudy: Auditions for 2-3 weeks of going to practice 6 hours a week, and the director picked the people who will be competing.
Lindsay: How many people choose not to go because the cost?
Rudy: Don’t think so, because we generally find a way to cover the costs.
Anu: Do you guys to try to have fundraising for this?
Rudy: We’re trying to get sponsorship from other places, but there’s been lots of issues. We’re trying to work those out so we can get sponsorship outside of the 5Cs and club funding.
Anu: How did you get funding last year? ASHMC funded $100 last year, I think to get to nationals.
Rudy: Last year we only had one Mudder on the team. Not sure where the funds from that came from.
Dgro: Do these flights cost $500 now? Or bought tickets already?
Rudy: Bought them this week, but we weren’t allowed to buy them until we got funding for it.
Dgro: Where did that funding come from?
Rudy: I think from the director paying out of his credit card, but he’ll be getting reimbursed. The ballroom director is part of the PE department at Pomona, so things sort of getting coordinated from that, but not very much.
Lindsay: Is there a club sports fund?
Rudy: We aren’t a club sport. We asked the club sport for money.
Dean Noda: Has anyone talked to Landis about getting funding? Any of the 3 Mudders? One should be communicating with Landis.
Patrick: Mudd has its own Athletics fund.
Jesus: You should e-mail Kevin Byram, the Athletic Director of ASHMC about that. He gets money for sports activities.
Anu: Also, so you guys get $5000(?) for the year. Does any of that money contribute to that event?
Rudy: I don’t know; I wasn’t involved with any of the funding from last year. I went to 5C budget request, but I don’t have any control of the finances of the team.
We’re leaving next weekend.
Muddraker Request, from Lea Zernow
Lea: Just published our first issue last semester. Trying to request money for printing cost. Will be $250 to print the upcoming issue. We’re getting an issue out this week. We’d like to print another one before the semester ends, so $500 for this semester, and $500 for next semester.
And for other sources of income, we just started doing subscriptions from parents. I’ve gotten about $400 so far ($10/year), but one time thing.
We weren’t able to get ads for this issue, but we’re working on that for later issues.
We’re working some towards of contribution for those who contribution. Those with work-study get money, but those without don’t get anything.
We haven’t come to ASHMC funding request this year. Last year we came.
Anu: You got $300 last year?
Lindsay: Dean Chris talked about some sort of compensation for people that aren’t getting federal money.
Lea: We haven’t decided any specifics, depends on how much money we have.
Lindsay: Any compensation needed for the editor?
Lea: I get work-study. I don’t necessarily need anymore, but if people say, “Here, have money,” then I wouldn’t say no. I think compensation would be useful so people will be more motivated when there’s so much work.
Anu: For yearbook, we allocate a certain amount for the editors. Do you want to request ASHMC funds for that?
Lea: If ASHMC can, that’d be fine. We don’t have a permanent staff, only people working case-by-case.
Lindsay: Could you talk to your staff about that?
Lea: Right now, there is a definite request for printing costs.
Anu: If you run out of money, you can come back and ask more.
Patrick: Have you talked to any hum profs about possibly making a class?
Lea: Sounds like it’s not going to be an option. Trying to think of other options.
Anu: So you’re requesting $500 for this semester?
Marielle: I would write articles for otter pops. No, I’m serious. It will work.
Discussion of Ballroom Dancing Funding Request
-- Getting them to the competition--
-- If don’t buy them shoes--
-- No, need competition shoes. They’re $120.
--We just gave them $300-$450 total.
--But gave them too little last year.
--I think there are activities that--
--I sympathize with them for having to pay so much.
--They’ll get there, but the money will have to come out of their pockets.
--He was talking about outside sponsors. I think they can.
--I don’t think they’re going to have pay all of it themselves.
--There’s also Landis.
--What about $500?
--I guess I was thinking more than $1000.
--We don’t give clubs that much money. Why should we give 3 individuals that much?
--We always think of how many Mudders are in a club. And we would never give people hundreds per person.
--Last year total cost was 10,000. In terms of total budgeting, 5000 goes towards spring concert…
--Allocated 600 for national competitions. Think they should allocate at least a couple of thousand dollars from their allocations.
--Club should be paying.
--Club has $5000 total.
--We gave them that much. Do they have that much?
--I doubt they used all of $5000 that quickly.
--New director this year, so troubles with that. Trying to run around and figure things out, because don’t know how things work. They’ve had to buy suits.
--So these things go back to the clubs? Shouldn’t that be a one-time investments?
--But different people, and wear and tear.
--Different kind of costumes for different competitions: Latin, Standard, etc.
--If we have $100 for one person last year, then we could give them $300 to $450.
--Were we justified in giving $100 last year?
Motion to give $450, passed
--Seeing as they have one issue going out this week, and have 3 weeks to get out the next issue, do you think they will get another issue out?
--Especially with finals coming up.
--Are we thinking about giving them $1000 for the year, or $500.
--$500 is good.
--Is it normal to compensate people for student newspapers? At other schools?
--I was hoping she would tell me what she wanted.
--It has a good name.
--I think $500 is a good idea.
Motion for $500 to Muddraker -- Approved
Baker Room Discussion
Dean Noda: The Treasurer is interested in making the Baker room (room next door) more useful for students. Says current furniture, students not using it that much. Coming to you with his proposal.
Proposing to buy tables and chairs that can be pushed around. Room already has sofas. We’d have to decided what to do with the piano. Dean Chris asked for the wall cabinets, for club storage.
Do you really want it to start looking like a meeting room, or not?
Dgro: There are times when this room is used, and the next room is unusable. Especially not good room for AE.
Marielle: The cabinets are a good idea, at least. We need better storage for all of that stuff.
Lindsay: Those existing cabinets, could they be made bigger?
Dean Noda: Don’t think so; they’re custom-made.
(Dgro shuffling through cabinets)
Dgro: Would anything in there be locked?
Dean Noda: If they were, Dean Chris would have the keys.
(Dgro finds “arm shields” in the cabinets)
Lindsay: Would add white board space on the walls. Also a projector. Space to teach, or project.
(Dgro says there’s a white board, projector, TV in the Baker Room right now.)
Dean Noda: Dean Chris was thinking about pushing it on the balcony. But that’s too much like Nordstroms…
The piano belongs to students. Could go Sontag lounge, or Linde lounge, or somewhere else that is student space.
(Dgro is shuffling through the Baker room, I can’t hear what he’s saying)
Dean Noda: Do you think we need to collect more feedback from students?
Elaine: Good idea.
Zack: I’m sure we can find a place for the piano.
Patrick: Could put it in Galileo foyer.
(Dean Noda says something about Nordstroms again.)
Dgro: How about more couches?
Gena: If the piano is given to Sontag, if piano is broken or damaged, whose responsibility is it?
(someone voices a need to stop talking about the piano)
Dean Noda: So, going to push for this.
Dgro: Pushing for idea, or seeking specific number of chairs/tables. Does the other room need to be a meeting space, just like this room, or something else?
(more furniture discussion)
Leadership Boot Camp Discussion
Lindsay: Sounds like a good thing from the alumni who have taken it before. Quick rundown: There’s an alum who’s trying to give back to the school by giving us this leadership bootcamp, which she does for big corporations. This is to teach the people of these companies to be better leaders. Done it before, been really successful.
Housing for students will be covered, (Dean Noda: but only for people who need it?), but will still have to pay for food. Dates: Jan 14-17.
Lindsay: Think that we should cover the food. Numbers range from 20-40 students. If 20 students went, $1200 for food. Looking on the range of $1000-$2500. Only HMC
-- I’ve done it. I think it was a good program, but I don’t think it was very leadership-oriented. Boot camp costs $5000 for companies. Good for students.
-- What did they do?
-- Builds teamwork more than leadership. I felt there were things you couldn’t apply to real life, such as if you’re in a meeting and you’re not part of it, you should leave. But, a good experience overall. I would recommend to people; I just had more expectations from it. But there was a wide variety of people’s opinions of it. But I do think there are people who would really enjoy it.
-- Ballpark is $1000-$2500, depending on how many students would go. Want to know now so we can e-mail students-l.
-- What if we cover half?
-- We should have an upper limit; no more than $1500.
-- If we say there’s funding for so many students, then you could hook them.
-- So basically, covering half the cost of food, if $15 per day, up to $1500…or $1400.
Motion for subsidizing half of food and having an upper limit for funding: Passed
Motion to approve minutes with the change to combine EPC section and fix typo: Approved