Sunday, September 16, 2007
• Liz, South
• Oksana, CAP
• Gena, Sontag
• Lucia, Sontag
• Dean Noda
• Jesus, DAC/CPS
• Byram, Athletics?
• Leah, SFC
• Andrew, North
• Dgro, Linde
• Kenny, West
• Matthew, East
Atwood: Dorm meeting. Voting on quiet hours now. Getting a list of people whose internet is really slow.
South: Dorm meeting.
CAP: First CAP event on Thursday. One or two next week, and one next Saturday.
Sontag: Doing well.
DAC: Going well.
Byram: Waterpolo and sand volleyball going on. Dorm jocks go to captains’ meeting before big events.
SFC: Meetings on Thursdays. Had a meeting about class elections last week without profs. E-mail sent out about elections, no replies. Elections 5 days from now.
North: Dorm meeting this Thursday.
Linde: Dorm meeting. Linde becoming very much like family.
West: Dorm meeting, went well. Several Westies went to that strategic planning thing. Felt like it was more about strategic funding than Shanahan funding. Overall, everyone’s happy, freshmen hanging out.
Anu: … Dorms need to pick up account change forms.
Patrick: Constitution things didn’t pass (need 3/5 for change of quorum).
Roller Hockey Club Funding Request
Jonny Simkin, Hayden Gomes, Russell
Jonny: 3 handouts: (1) budget, (2) club charter, (3) roster. We’re just trying to spread hockey around the 5Cs, meet once a week. Have competitions and tournaments, in West Covina, San Jose, etc. 5 tournaments throughout the year (which are weekend tournaments). Looking for funding for these tournaments. And we’re trying to get funding from all the schools.
Anu: How many active members from Mudd?
Johnny: Right now, 4.
Someone: From other colleges?
Jonny: Pitzer: 2, CMC: 4, Pomona: 5. Most freshmen haven’t gotten back to us, signed up during club faire. Think we can expect more from Mudd.
Jonny: Normally 8 players per team, probably will have overlapping members. Hoping to get a team of all beginners. One concern is getting equipment ($300 per person), going to try to do fundraising to get gear for freshmen. There are also people who want to transfer from ice hockey to roller hockey, so need to settle people with equipment costs and getting people comfortable with the game.
Kenny: Traveling, hotel expenses – for 4 Mudders?
Johnny: 2 Mudders.
Leah: Can jerseys be reused?
Kenny: Who’s making up the rest of the expenses?
Johnny: Trying to do fundraising, and getting money from Pitzer, CMC, Pomona as well. Haven’t heard back from them yet.
Dgro: What kind of fundraising ideas do you have?
Johnny: Have a list. Includes car washes, sending e-mails out to get sponsored (such as by energy drinks), or throwing a party. Last year we had RollerProm, where we rented out roller rink, and had people pay $10 to get in.
Oksana: Is this a HMC club?
Jonny: 5C club.
Patrick: What campus do you play on?
Jonny: Once a week at Mudd basketball court.
Anu: Did you go to a 5C panel?
Jonny: Last year yes, but didn’t get anything because the old leaders weren’t very organized.
Lindsay: Any more questions?
(Jonny, Hayden, Russell leave)
Funding Request from Poker Club
Tim: Last year’s president graduated, which is the reason for the late budget request.
Looking at proposal 1:
Got bare essentials of what we need (chip sets, cards, dealer buttons). I realize now after printing that item #2, that I should explain that the cards are high-quality plastic, which will last long (not the paper Bicycle kind).
Proposal 2: Hold free tournament. Difficult to do fundraising because of gambling laws. Asking for $45 just to help us provide prizes for those free tournaments. Some examples of gifts: Certificates, poker-related items.
Anu: Where would stuff be stored?
Tim: Probably with me? I don’t know where would be a safe place on campus to store the stuff.
Kenny: What happened to the stuff from last year?
Tim: Don’t know. Club founded by class of ’07, but now they’re gone. Maybe took stuff with him. Nick Evans, who was in the club year and graduated, said the items are long gone.
Patrick: Talked to Reno Night people?
Oksana: Reno night (part of Orientation) has several chip sets.
Gena: IHTP bought chips sets for their party. Shuold be downstairs.
Anu: Also can ask Dean Chris for chip sets.
Lindsay: How much?
Oksana: Reno night had 5 boxes, the kinds that fold out. High quality.
Lindsay: Could you (Tim) investigate to see if that works for you? If you could figure that out, it would help us better assess the budget to give you.
Discussion of Roller Hockey Club Funding Request
Byram: CMS is officially funded through school. How is Rugby team funded?
Anu: I can’t remember if the roller hockey club came to us for 5C funding already? Will have to check if funds are already allocated to them.
Lindsay: The rugby team comes to us, asks us money based on how many Mudders are on the team. We use a formula to figure out how much to allocate to these clubs.
This seems like a lot of money to me (for roller hockey).
Gena: $800 for 2 people sounds like too much.
Leah: Don’t think they’ll get 3 teams.
Byram: Will cost a lot to get equipment to start up.
Anu: But if there was a roller hockey club earlier, isn’t it possible that they would have equipment already?
Jesus: Don’t think so. But it’s a personal thing (depends on size).
Lindsay: Want to tell them to get most of their funding from Pomona.
Dgro: But we’re already not giving them most of their funding. Probably won’t get more than $4000 from all 5 colleges. Is it reasonable to ask Pomona for $1500? (No.) So they probably wouldn’t get more than ½ the money they need, and they probably wouldn’t be able to fundraise enough.
Anu: We can tell them to come back after they know how many Mudders are on team.
Dgro: If the club becomes well-established in the future, they could be like Ultimate Frisbee or the rugby team. Think we should tell them to try and send one team (beginner’s team) to the competition, and we can help them fund that. But we strongly encourage to get funding to start up. They’re trying really hard.
Patrick: And they do practice at Mudd, so they’re a visible part of the campus.
Gena: I remember IV asked for money, but we denied them money for conference, or cut them down.
Anu: We reimbursed them for sending people to conferences.
Lindsay: Any ideas from the council about a reasonable amount of money to curate them?
Oksana: If only end up with 1 team, do the other league fees go down?
(discussion about what competition acronyms)
Anu: Also, their charter isn’t complete.
Someone: Team registration fee is for what?
Dgro: Allows them to play in the league.
Patrick: So they’re registering 3 separate teams?
Lindsay: So I’m hearing: take it one step at a time. Fund the cheaper tournament. Will cut down…a lot of money.
Anu: Can we propose to them to come back with a more reformed budget?
Dgro: If we give 450 dollars, can give them jerseys and pants.
Lindsay: But can’t give money till treasurer approves. But we can give them better idea.
Anu: We can propose to see how much money they get from the 4Cs.
Lindsay: Should we focus on funding clothing?
Dgro: Yes, because they’re going to use. Can fundraise to get a league fee, or just pay out of pocket. But definitely want to go with clothes.
Lindsay: So does $450 sound like a good thing? We’ll vote on that next week when they have a complete charter.
Lindsay: We still don’t have a yearbook editor. Could you guys send out e-mails to your dorms saying that we need a yearbook editor. Dean Noda, how would you describe the position? Not a lot of work?
Dean Noda: No, it’s a lot of work. Probably the most work, more so than any other ASHMC position. Weekly meetings with yearbook rep from company, driving students to do their work, do senior pages for 180 seniors, organizing ASHMC, reporting on budgeting and where the yearbook is in terms of progress. Big job.
Lindsay: Is it work-study?
Dean Noda: Get small stipend…to cover 10 hours of work per week. $250 each for a year? In the past, money has been used to pay people who finish the yearbook over summer.
Lindsay: Do we have to have yearbooks?
Dean Noda: No, not college thing, ASHMC thing. Not a trustee thing.
Lindsay: Seems like we’re having such a hard time with this yearbook. What’s changed about it, that it’s more difficult?
Someone: Can we give them more money?
Anu: We’ve allocated all the money from last year, but…
Rishad: $250 is too little to pay the yearbook editor.
Anu: Allocated $28k for this yearbook. Last year gave $28k for yearbook, $10k for old fees. I don’t know if there’s any money remaining from that.
Dean Noda: None.
Leah: Can we make the yearbook cost something, and then pay the editors with that?
Lindsay: So it seems like a good option is to increase the stipend for yearbook editor. So next week when we know how much money is left…
Oksana: Does the class of the editor matter?
Dgro: What if we increase interest in having a yearbook? What if we had a student historian per dorm, to document dorm meetings and parties? Do you think this would increase interest? And it’s always been a problem at the end of the year to get pictures for the dorm pictures, because no one cares.
Rishad: Case has an unofficial photographer. He’s really into photography, so he takes pictures and uploads them.
Lindsay: Also, would it be less daunting if we had a yearbook committee, instead of just an editor? So if we had a committee made up of people from all the dorms, and rotate leadership of the yearbook from one dorm to another each year. Do you think people would volunteer for a committee like that?
Patrick: Suggesting we do that this year?
Lindsay: We don’t have anything right now, so I think we should try lots of things. Should we work on this committee thing?
Someone: Made up of dorm photographers.
Someone else: Kind of like DAC, but for yearbook.
Someone else: Not paid. Or maybe dorm pays them.
Lindsay: Can you guys e-mail people about this? …Say that this person would be in charge of taking pictures, going to weekly meetings.
Kenny: But they need to do more than taking pictures.
Leah: We should say we need at least one person to do this.
Dgro: Yearbook committee, a group of people interested in doing the yearbook. The historian idea was more towards getting people excited about a yearbook, so people would want to be a yearbook editor someday. In high school, everyone wanted to be yearbook editor, because they want to be in control over this awesome thing, and everyone was really excited about it. Right now there’s no excitement about it on campus. We do need people to do the yearbook now, but we should also have an infrastructure set up to get people to care about the yearbook.
Lindsay: So, e-mail about “Dorm yearbook reps.” The hope is that these people would have weekly meetings. For their first time, we could give run down of what we expect of them? We will need to work with them this year to set a precedent. Maybe someone would step up to be a yearbook editor from this group.
Dean Noda: Keep in mind that we need someone to be in charge so we can have a contract with the company. Someone who might think that bad things will be happen if they don’t get the yearbook done.
Patrick: Could we vote right now to make $1k available to pay either one or two editors who are chiefly in charge? Having that info available will get more people to go for the position.
Lindsay: So let’s vote on giving our editors $500 each. We have the money to do it, and we need to do it.
Jesus: Motion to give $500 to the yearbook editor (and $500 to each one, if there ends up being more than one editor)
Lindsay: Ask them to reply to you by Friday, so we can talk to them at the next meeting. Do we still want to do this committee thing? And asking for dorm photographers?
Patrick: Dorm reps to yearbook committee, however many people who want to do it.
Anu: But a concern is that if the yearbook editor gets money, and everyone else gets nothing…
Kenny: But that makes people want to be editor.
Lindsay: Let’s just try it first. Please send out e-mails today.
Next issue: All these yearbooks that have not been sent out yet. Usually editor’s job to send them out. Usually put the yearbooks in envelopes, stamp, send out to the graduated seniors. This costs about $5-6 per book.
1. Pay a company to do send out yearbooks – cost double.
2. Or we can do it as a council and save money.
Everybody: There’s a lot of us, we can do it quickly.
YEARBOOK PARTY! YEAH!
Lindsay: Assembly lines, labels, stamps. Would this work?
Anu: And $5-6 dollars per book would be paid out of yearbook funds. We have money for ASHMC funding to get food.
Dean Noda: But I don’t think you funded sending out the yearbooks.
Lindsay: So it would come out of our ASHMC budget?
(Discussion about moving meeting time and place. Gets really complicated.)
Lindsay: We’ll just keep the same time.
So next week, we will meet at 3 in Platt to send out the yearbooks.
Next thing: Need to start a conversation about size and location of the shed.
Kenny: What is the shed?
Lindsay: Where clubs can put stuff. Don’t think there’s space for clubs to put stuff.
Matt: If we have a large number of clubs who have as much gear as delta-H or toolshmc, then we’re going to need a lot of space.
Dgro: Building or buying it?
Lindsay: They’re installing it, and need to know where to put it. Dgro: Because they can just buy shed.
Kenny: Would be expensive.
Jesus: Where would it be? Next to the LAC?
Lindsay: We need to decide on convenient location and tell F&M. Also they want to know what size.
(Discussion about location of the shed, during which I got terribly lost. Nothing decided.)
Lindsay: Basically, does everyone agree that we need it?
Leah: Make E-4 design the shed!
Discussion of bulletin board and suggestion box
Lindsay: ASHMC doesn’t have a presence. What if we had a bulletin board in mailroom? We need a place for petitions. We also used to have a suggestion box that got used, would be a good thing to have.
So we’ll need to vote on the bulletin board and suggestion box.
Someone: Why the mailroom?
Lindsay: People go there, and have to go there. Or we could put it in the Hoch. Right now, the bulletin board next to Muddhole where our ASHMC stuff is located is rather sad and not visible.
Leah: The bulletin board price listed is too expensive. I have one that I got for $10—same size.
Lindsay: This is just numbers Angelica gave me. So do we want to allocate money for this?
Kenny: Do we want to see if we can get anything cheaper?
Byram: We could allocate $100 and have someone go out and buy stuff, then reimburse.
Anu: $200 are allocated to ASHMC supplies.
Lindsay: Anyway, we’re going to get the bulletin board and suggestion box.
Dorm Audit Discussion:
Lindsay: A couple of dorms cannot find their receipts. We need to discuss what to do if dorms haven’t found their receipts. Technically, we can’t write them checks, but we can discuss it and see what to do.
Kenny: What are the receipts for?
Lindsay: To verify the allocated money of what we gave the dorm. Of what money was spent on big things.
Kacy: Don’t know where Atwood’s receipts are.
Anu: Need 3 dorm audits before can award checks to other dorms.
Lindsay: Need to discuss telling the dorm treasurers what to do. Higgy: Not that hard… just need to keep receipts.
Anu: You probably wrote up checks to reimburse people.
Kenny: A lot of receipts went to social.
Anu: Have social audit.
Lindsay: Isn’t there another way to find any checks or receipts?
Anu: Can get Bank of America to give check copies.
Higgy: But they only keep checks for a few months.
Matt: But that’s useless unless the “for” field is completed.
Anu: Treasurers are supposed to keep a record, such as this check, with the check number, going to this person. That’s the ideal way.
Lindsay: I guess Atwood and West need money, but don’t have receipts. Need to make a council decision if it’s okay to give them money.
Kenny: A bunch fo West dorm records lost from the move. All of dorm archives, including photos, records. Going to try to see what we can find of statements. Talked to our dorm treasurers already, but they don’t have receipts.
Higgy: Google doc is a good way to keep track of this. So the president can see what the treasurers are doing.
Patrick: If they lost the receipt, then they can check their bank accounts to see where money was spent. So we can ask them that next week that they have the money accounted.
Matt: Only will have the amount. Not what it was for.
Someone: Treasurers should be doing that.
Higgy: Maybe they can find a carbon copy of the checks.
Anu: Basically, we need whatever records they can get.
Lindsay: So, we need West, Atwood, and Linde’s receipts. So only giving checks to those who have audits.
Anu: Will give the other dorms their checks as soon as we get the receipts, or some sort of record.
End session, 4:04 pm