Sunday, September 9, 2007
Executive assistant: Hufsa Ahmad
ASHMC POSITIONS (2007-2008)
David Gross (Dgro)
DAC chair/CPS chair:
Zach Rogstad (Jesus)
Linde: Dorm Mitzvah
Atwood: Elections this week.
Social: Speakers broken, Wet Season went well.
Case: Meeting Tuesday. Storage has rats.
DAC: First meeting last Friday, went well. We had dorm auctions.
North: We had a meeting Thursday.
South: Meeting Tuesday.
CAP: Were getting e-mails for events.
East: Had meeting Wednesday, Dis-O went really well, speakers died.
SFC: No SFC meeting yet. Thinking about Thursdays at lunch.
Treasurer: Allocated about $130k for the year, so $20-30k to work with for the rest of the year. No exact number yet. I need the rest of the dorm estimates. Have forms, pick up after meeting. Contact if need to change officers (there’s a form). Another form to fill out forms for checks. (Sontag 201A) Need dorm audits (how you spent last year’s dorm budget). Guideline online. For clubs too.
(No West dorm update)
Lindsay: Talk about elections.
Leah: Ask sophomores to run freshman elections, must be done within 3 weeks of school, I think. Going to do ASAP. Between the class officers, should be enough people. A few positions must be elected. Senior spot left on honor board. Sophomores have a spot left
Lindsay: 3 spots open for seniors, 2 for sophomores.
Leah: Want to send out e-mail. Please encourage people to run.
Lindsay: Other positions must be filled for faculty executive committee:
(please also solicit to dorms)
Student assessment committee; Teaching & learning committee
In terms of what we didn’t have as of last year, need to find yearbook editor. Really important.
Will send out e-mail with lists.
Leah: Hoping to start elections next Monday.
Lindsay: Going to talk about council duties, and club funding policies. Want to discuss what you can & can’t spend money on—what’s specifically stated in constitution and bylaws, and then we can put more specifics on it. And we should give as much money as we can to the clubs, and not make excuses not to.
Lindsay: Our job is to give money to our clubs and to students who want to do things. And tell students to be upstanding citizens. Clear?
Lindsay: Encourage all of you to read constitution bylaws. We actually have a $1000 limit on allocations, and if we want to allocate money over $1000,must be put to a vote. Can allocate funds throughout the year. Cannot appropriate money to be spent on ourselves. Anybody who comes in here to request money must be accompanied by a charter and budget. We cannot fund things that are illegal (so money can’t be spent on alcohol). Club activities are insurable among HMC liability coverage. (e.g. A club wanted to do skydiving before, but couldn’t fund them because our insurance doesn’t cover for skydiving.) Also, club must have a valid meaning for existence.
Problem: We were wrong in saying we can’t give money to non-profits, or for food, t-shirts, etc.
Patrick: Actually, we can’t give money to non-profits.
Marielle: We can give money to t-shirts, but I thought it was because we didn’t want to.
Lindsay: Yeah, so what do we want to fund?
Marielle: I think it’s fine to discuss as it comes, since it depends what the t-shirts for.
Leah: But we should have some sort of guidelines.
Anu: We get a lot of e-mails on when/where people can spend on. But it’s very ambiguous. For example, some clubs spent money over summer – is that okay? Since technically that’s outside of the school year. But we should have some sort of a guideline in the handbook.
Marielle: Why can’t they spend over summer?
Anu: For instance, rocket club organized trips over summer. I’m for funding that, but what if you run out of half of your budget over summer? Nick says it’s up to my discretion whether to do it or not. I’d rather I didn’t have to choose.
Lindsay: As a council…
Dgro: Do people remember what was ambiguous in terms of funding?
Anu/Marielle/Patrick: Food and meetings sounds good to me.
Dgro: Do we have down opinions of things we argued about during last year’s meeting? We could use that as some basis…
Lindsay: We can work on that later, and go back to the minutes from before.
Patrick’s project for Monday night
(Note: Monday night, September 10th,7-8:30pm, in the Green Room, there is a workshop organized to help people develop ideas for proposals and write up proposals of student-run activities, in light of two bodies of money opening up: the Strategic Planning money, and the Hoch-Shanahan money.)
Patrick: Did you read my e-mail? Yes? No?
Well, did you read the one from Maria Klawe or Dean Cave about the funding that’s available? There is a lot of money available for student-run projects.
Tomorrow from 7-8:30 in Green Room we’re going to have a workshop to help students write proposals.
Don’t need people there for organizational reasons, but as the LEADERS OF THE CAMPUS I think everyone should go and contribute ideas and set an example. Please show up.
Also, doesn’t have to be limited to sustainability projects.
Dgro: Seems like it’s there to develop ideas that students already have? But what about the students that want to be active (for instance, freshmen), but don’t have any clue about how to go about doing that? Is there any part of that workshop devoted to coming up with ideas?
Patrick: Some of it does. Will break into small groups where people who don’t know what to do will talk to people with ideas. Please e-mail dorms about that and ask them to show up.
Dean Noda: For clarification…
1. $50k a semester for projects related to strategic planning (up to 5k per project)
2. Shanahan money for student-run projects (doesn’t have to do with strategic planning) e.g. robotics team, zero-gravity, who are looking for money and don’t have funding.
Kenny: Is it a meeting for both fundings, or just strategic planning?
Lindsay: Waiting for Tom, going to hear Tom to request money for the climbing club. Also waiting for Annika, Autumn, maybe Sam, to request money for the recycled mugs we got at financial registration. And picture!
Patrick: Has anyone checked out council website?
Jesus: We have a website?
Lindsay: Any opinions on improving it?
Several: What is the website?
Patrick: Hmc.edu, then student life, then student government on the left. (http://www.hmc.edu/studentlife1/ashmc.html)
Marielle: Some of the links are to older ones. Make sure that’s it’s updated. Designed fine, I think.
Patrick: Anyone have material that needs to be put up on the website?
Cool things on campus:
1. Pomona flex car that’s going to happen, ready in October. A car that’s parked in a certain location, and you can rent it and pay a monthly fee.
2. Now you can have attachments to students-l e-mails.
3. Bono? Claremont clown coming? Coming to give a speech? (30 tickets available) – (Note from Hufsa: Sorry, I have no idea what they were talking about there and forgot to ask after the meeting. I’ll try to ask someone for clarification as soon as possible.)
Jesus: Other than DAC chair, I’m campus party subcommittee chair. I think I’m going to have meetings Thursday at lunch, not every Thursday, so going to send e-mails to people in every dorm involved in that. Also will discuss other party matters. So, need a rep from each dorm, and social’s there.
Marielle: Last year we made sure that the reps were involved in throwing parties or wanted to be.
Jesus: Meetings only will generally be the week before and after big parties. So will e-mail when we’re going to have meetings.
(Tom Donze and Gordon Hoople enter.)
Lindsay: What are the big parties this month?
Marielle: IHTP contacted me to throw another TG affair at the end of September.
ADDITIONAL FUNDING REQUEST FOR THE HARVEY MUDD WALLBANGERS CLIMBING CLUB
(Tom Donze & Gordon Hoople)
Tom: Already gave us $300. We want more. (Please.)
(Gave out handout. Asking for money for 4 slot passes to Hangar 18 at $110 each – originally budgeted 3 passes at $75 each. Also want to buy a climbing rope. So asking for $390 more total, on top of the $300 given for last spring.)
Dgro: We gave you $300 for last spring? You want $390 more?
Anu: Is this beyond the budget request in spring? Because that hasn’t gone through yet. Don’t have that with me.
Tom: So assuming we got $300 last year, we’re going to need $390 more. Regular membership for a semester is $100. Passes only for a semester, going to talk to see if we can get them extended. (So will probably be here in January again.) We had these in the past when we were frosh. The passes were pretty much booked every week.
Every week we have 4 passes that Mudders can use (usually Wed nights), and our spots are booked at Hangar 18. If people want to go another night, it’s usually fine if we let Hangar 18 know beforehand. Normally $25 per person per night.
Kenny: So one person one pass?
Kenny: How many people are in the club?
Tom: I think we had 60 more people sign up for the club this year; had 56 members at the end of last year.
Anu: Did you talk to 5C climbing club?
Tom: I think 5C’s deal is OTL, don’t really have equipment. Don’t know about passes.
Tom: The $225 were for slot passes, $75 for guidebooks. We’re building up a library.
Someone: So slot passes used over summer?
Tom: No, expired last semester.
Tom: Ropes are expensive equipment. Hadn’t planned on getting more gear last year. (Confusion about using one rope for four people at Hangar 18.) Need rope for outside use. Usually 6 people used them last year.
Anu: Does delta-h have those ropes?
Tom: No. I wouldn’t trust my life with Delta H stuff.
We took over all of their climbing stuff.
DISCUSSION OF CLIMBING CLUB FUNDING REQUEST:
---: what happened to the 300? I don’t get it.
---: They thought the passes were $75, but the passes are $110. And they want one more.
---: Don’t worry, addition is correct.
---: So asking for $390 more, but we allocated them $500. For some reason.
---: So they only want…$190 more?
---: We didn’t tell them because we didn’t want to embarrass them.
---: They’re going to want 4 more passes next semester, so that’ll go over $1000 over the course of the year.
---: But that’ll be voted on the spring.
---: Maybe by then we can allocate $1500 to each club without voting. (If that’s passed.) I used these slot passes a lot last year.
---: So why don’t they just ask money now?
---: It’s Hangar 18. They won’t let you buy spring passes until the spring.
---: Is 4 passes enough?
---: Maybe things would change if only 3 are used every week, or something.
---: How does this work with the school?
---: I went with different people different weeks. I climbed a lot, I had a pass for myself 1st semester. But going with different people every week, generally. So used by more casual people, or noobs.
---: Works good as an introduction, and then if they like it, they’ll get a membership. So, motivates people.
---: So they say they have like, 100 people in the club?
---: But keep in mind that a lot of people go on outside trips.
---: They have about 3-4 trips per semester.
---: And then people sign up for everything at club faires.
---: Motion to give $190 for the climbing club
---: Second that motion.
In favor: 14
FUNDING REQUEST BY ESW & MOSS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL AWARENESS COFFEE MUGS GIVEN AT FINANCIAL REGISTRATION
(Sam Eisenberg, Autumn, Annika)
Autumn: Remember getting these cups at financial registration? So, over the summer, we got a nice opportunity to fund these, and they’re good for awareness. We participated in helping to get you guys these, about $200 total from ESW and MOSS. We were hoping to get that reimbursed, since we couldn’t ask money over summer.
Lindsay: So $200 over what we already allocated?
Jesus: Exactly $200?
Annika: Yes, part of a deal, so business affairs and student accounts paid the rest.
Jesus: So $100 per club?
Sam: Yes. Haven’t given out the ones to faculty/staff yet. So don’t know how many were handed out. Imagine there will be a few left over.
Kenny: Can you use those for fundraising or anything?
Sam: We told them before we ordered it so we could sell extras to faculty/staff. But then they spent extra money and got them for faculty/staff anyway. (Grumble, grumble.) But depending on whatever’s left over, we can use them next year when there are new frosh…with money.
Leslie: What’s the total cost exactly?
Annika: $5500 dollars.
DISCUSSION OF ESW/MOSS FUNDING REQUEST:
Lindsay: So allocated $650 last year to ESW and MOSS got $820, they’d like $200 more. Asking for money because they already have plans for other money.
Marielle: We might as well give it to them now.
Kenny: What was the purpose of the mugs?
Jesus: They’re like recycled material coffee mugs.
Leah: To be used to get coffee in the morning outside of Galileo, instead of using the Styrofoam cups.
Lindsay: I think they’ve been trying to figure out the Styrofoam cup thing for a while.
Marielle: Stylish cups.
Jesus: Motion to give $100 to MOSS and $100 to ESW.
IN FAVOR: 12
(Kenny: No West dorm update. Well, Wet Season went well.)