*ASHMC Council Meeting**
*Minutes Taking: Dmitri Skjorshammer*
*4:00 pm* Convene
*4:01* Status reports
*4:10* Fund Request: International club (Benyue Li)
*4:15* Fund Request: Environmental club at CMC (Matt Kelsey)
*4:20* Fund Request: Hillel (Sasha Thrailkill)
*4:25* Club Charter: Breakdancing club (Dorian Scrima)
*4:30* Discussion: Dry pre-frosh weekend letter
*4:35* Discussion: Draft of changes to the Constitution to allow class officers on the council
*4:40* Discussion: West fire pit (Zack Rubin)
*4:45* Executive session
*4:50 pm* Adjourn
*Present: *East, Linde, West, Sontag, SFC, DAC, North, Athletics, others
East *– nothing
*Linde *– sausage party
*West *– everyone fine (relating to arrest).
*Sontag *– had dorm meeting Thursday**
*SFC *- nothing to report**
*DAC *– finished room draw**
*NORTH *– broom ball
*Case *– nothing
*Atwood *– party went well
*South – *nothing to report/ minor fire, dorm meeting Thursday**
*CAP *– many people to events. Allocating money to end-ofsemester activities**
*Fund Request: International club (Benyue Li)*
- April 12^th , I-place 30^th anniversaryà festival. Not a fundraiser.
- I-place wants to promote better understanding of world culture. Over 30 booths about world culture. Want to provide opportunity for Claremont students to show diversity
- Need additional money since cost have gone up.
- Estimated: 35,000. Request from ASHMC: $1,000.
- Wray: How much money did you get allocated for 5C budgeting last year?--> $5,500. Expect between 300 and 400 people come.
- North: Did you ask additional funding last year?
- East: you mentioned cost have gone up a bit? --> Rentals and labor and service and entertainment have gone up.
- Sontag: there is beer there.
- Wray: would our money go to pay for alcohol?
- I-place: no, we have other places to use money
*Fund Request: Environmental club at CMC (Matt Kelsey)*
- Kouhotek festival. Arranged for a visit by BioTour during Earth Week.
- Request: $300. This is a 5C event. $300 go to pay for fuel for BioTour and appearance ($1500 total).
- East: if you haven’t been recognized yet, how would we allocate?
- Club: it goes straight to BioTour. We had our constitution passed by CMC anyways.
*Fund Request: Hillel (Sasha Thrailkill)*
- Passover is coming up (19^th through 26^th ). Many students have to go to Oldenborg due to dietary restrictions that the dining halls do not meet. Organizing snack night.
- Request: $300. Snacks will be on the lawn outside.
- Sasha: Representing Becca. Want to give gifts for freshmen. Requesting $100 for next year.
- Anu: 5C budgeting occurs at Pomona so since this request is for next year, you may go to 5C budgeting.
- Sasha: Ok.
- David Gross: how will you do the Passover snack night across 5C campuses?
- Sasha: we are planning 2 at HMC, 1 at CMC, 2 at SC, 2 at PZ.
- Anu: you were allocated money at the beginning of the year. What happened?
- Sasha: We are a subcommittee of Hillel (freshman board). They got the money.
*Charter: Breakdancing club (Dorian Scrima)*
- interest among students to get together and do hip-hop
- there is a current class in it but not everybody wants
- Wray: do you have a charter
- I can go print it out (4:25PM)
- 4:30à Dorian: Astro is busy.
- 4:35 -> has the charter.
- East: what gear? --> Dorian: we don’t need speakers. Maybe mats.
- Wray: all equipment has to be lent out.
- **Dorian leaves**
- East: Motion to approve.
- For: 14, abstain: 0
*Discussion: Dry pre-frosh weekend letter *
- Wray: any suggestions or comments to improve the letter
- Can we change prefrosh to admitted students
*Discussion: Budget Requests*
- _International Club:_ gave them $600 for banquet. We didn’t give them more money for I-fest (although I think we did). We did not fund I-fest last year.
- DAC: motion to approve $1,000
- For: 15, against: 0, abstain: 1
- _Environment Club:_ Byram: motion to approve $300__
- For: 14, Against: 2
- _Jewish Club_: Motivates Jewish students to get involved.
- DAC: motion to approve $300
- For: 13, Abstain: 1
*Discussion: Draft of changes to the Constitution to allow class officers on the council*
- Class presidents added to the Councilà East: fine with me.
- SFC is getting dissolved.
- Athletics director not capitalized. All proper nouns should be capitalized.
- East: article 3, 4 looks good.
- DOSà change name to Dean of Students
- East: IHTP is a club, not an ASHMC organization (problematic since clubs come and go). Wray: if they dissolve, we can replace it with an ASHMC organization.
- DAVID GROSS: motion to approve changes up to article 5, section 3
- For: 15, abstain: 0
*Discussion: West fire pit (Zack Rubin) *
- it is west’s position that this fire pit was promised during renovation
- Rubin: it was meant as a fountainàNoda: it was meant to be portable
- Rubin: the fire pit has not been abused. We try to keep it whole. Talked to F&M and they estimated $6,000. I am asking ASHMC if the council is behind us that we can ask F&M to make a new estimate.
- Noda: there will be no new firepit until next renovation (next 10 years). However, if a number of parties contribute to $6,000 then F&M can match the contributions.
- Why so high cost?
- Noda: the school follows a certain procedure (contracts) to build a new firepit. That is why it’s $6,000. School might get penalized if students try to build it.
- Wray: there was a lot of opposition. Zach needs our support.
- There is way too much money allocated to west only.
- Wray: is there a possibility to get a second quote, Dean Noda?
- Noda: we can. The summer is the perfect time because of seismic renovation.
- Foley: we are putting this to student vote anyways because it’s over $1,500.
- Rubin: I will talk again to F&M. I can bring that dollar amount to ASHMC and can talk to F&M if they can match ASHMC funds.
- Foley: we must write up for/against paragraphs in order to move it forward.
- Athletics: Motion to approve minutes
- For: 14
- Abstain: 7