ASHMC Meeting March 30th
Linde Activities Center
ABSENT: west, anu kohli
Social: someone brought back the speakers. Also someone borrowed the subs this weekend; i'm not sure who.
DAC - room draw starts tonight.
North - two parties this weekend, both good. Broomball is april 17th.
Sontag - dorm meeting thursday
CAP - there was a snorkling trip. Is it ok for us to give money to the scuba people? They need to be certified and stuff so its a much more limited group of people. Are you guys ok with us giving them money?
consensus after conversation - yes
Atwood - i think we're going to throw a small party this weekend. Also there's going to be a large BBQ soon, we're working with dining services.
Social - there's going to be a large party each weekend this year. heads up if youre throwing small parties, you're probably going to want to throw them this weekend or during Fridays.
East - we still don't have our 2nd semester check. We were shorted $60. I know Jay brought it to Anu's attention. Are we getting another check for $60 or for the full balance? Can we cash the smaller check and get the balance?
Lindsay - go ahead and cash it. I'll call Anu.
Social - we're doing a fundraiser by selling shirts for each dorm. They're all funny/slogan things. The front is a picture of the dorm and the back is the quote.
Patrick - Aaron has finished a functional prototype of his system. We will be holding a paper election for our next election, as I don't think we can debug and properly test either his system or the CS120 team's system in time for the election. I'm sending out an email tonight saying elections are soon. We will start taking statements and allowing petitions on Sunday April 7. Elections will then run through the week beginning on Monday April 14.
Discussion of Class Officer's Duties
Lindsay/Summary - Per the consensus from several other meetings, we will be cutting the Student Faculty Committee. The Faculty have pulled their representatives to the committee, so it no longer serves its purpose. There was also some feeling that the committee was restrictive to class presidents and another space for them might be more conducive to the organization of class events. We will be canceling the SFC and giving the class presidents voting positions in ASHMC.
Atwood - dorm presidents and everyone else in the council have kind of a body to report back to.
Dean Noda - well Sr. class officers actually have quite a few things to do. The rest of the class officers manage class elections for honor board and other things.
- the SFC is kind of restrictive for new class presidents.
- a lot of the other schools are class based, hmc is more dorm-based.
Consensus Decisions on the Class Officers' Duties
- they will sit on money
- ballpark $400 each is good
- all four classes will be there.
- money will be under each class rather than the four as a pool.
Unused Appointed Positions
Lindsay - There are several unused appointed positions that no longer serve any purpose. These are: Historian, Recycling Director, Rep to the traffic appeals board, Rep to the student relations subcommittee to the Library, Student health advisory committee, Teaching and learning committee, Librarian, Rep to the committee on student personel development, Rep to the campus party security, and the campus party subcommittee.
Motion to Cut The Above Appointed Positions from the Constitutions' Bylaws
approved - 11
opposed - 0
abstained - 0
New Appointed Positions
Lindsay/Patrick - We need a few new appointed positions:
1. An ASHMC Website Content Manager. They would not have to attend meetings and their only duties would be to update the ASHMC website with content provided by the ASHMC V.P. We do not yet know if this could be a paid position with work-study hours donated by D.O.S., but we will communicate with them to find out.
2. An ASHMC Language Tables Manager. The language tables are now a recognized facet of dining at Hoch, but with the committed energy of one person, they could grow to be a lot more. The Language Table Manager would place the signs each week, email the language lists, add people to the language lists, and purchase some more permanent signs (maybe a large professionally made banner). It will not be a paid position, and can be held by one person or by co-managers.
West Fire Pit Discussion
The West Fire Pit has been destroyed by too many fires, and they need funding to replace it. The west fire pit is a communal gathering space used by students from all the dorms, so ASHMC is considering funding half of the cost of a replacement. The replacement fire pit would be a permanent cement fixture, and would cost about $6000.
Dean Noda - i could probably get the school to pay for some of this. the bill is over $6k.
Sontag - I don't think it's appropriate to give that much to one dorm.
Social - I see where you're coming from but I'm for it becuase I think the money is there for us to fund things that the students use and enjoy.
Check out sheet for speakers -
Lindsay - the surf club has lost like all of their wetsuits and some of their surfboards. It's something that I think is our responsibility as a council to set up something for that. We have a storage unit coming in this summer behind the LAC, we might want to use that.
Lindsay - is anyone opposed to having a LAC signout sheet?
- we could have someone show their ID, borrow the key, and then get their ID back when they return the key.
- i know delta-h has ONE member with a key to the closet.
Consensus Decision - We will make a signout sheet for the LAC. We are going to do an audit of all ASHMC owned items purchase for each of the clubs. All ASHMC owned items will be stored in the new shed behind the LAC, and students will have to leave their ID at the LAC desk while borrowing the key to this shed. They will then have to write on the sheet what they borrowed.
Note - After the meeting, the LAC supervisors sent out the following email:
Due to recent events, the LAC supervisors have decided to make the following
- EVERYTHING that goes out the doors has to be checked out. It doesn't
matter if you've used it 100 times, everything has to be checked out. This
includes surf boards, toolsHMC tools, social speakers, toys, sports
equipment... Too many items have been going missing recently. There are two
possibilities for check out; (if your club or group has equipment at the LAC
and it can not be checked out this way, please email me and we can work it
- If it is short term, you can leave your ID card at the desk.
- Otherwise, the item/items will be checked out in our movieDB
system. This might take a few minutes if you do not have a
yet and/or if the item has not been checked out before because the
information will have to be entered into the system.
- Mudderbike check out will now have a two-strike policy. If you break
one of the bike policies then you will receive an email notification. If you
break a second, then you can't check out bikes for the remainder of the
semester. (Exe. leaving the Mudderbike unlocked in front of the dinning