_ASHMC Meeting 2/3/08_*
_Taking Minutes_: Dmitri Skjorshammer
_Start of Meeting_: 2:08PM
_Meeting Place – _Conference Room A and B
_Agenda : _
2:01PM Status Report
2:10PM Yearbook update
2:15PM Proposal Reviews
2:40PM Executive Session
*_ (2:08) Proposal Review_*
- List of proposals handed out
- give a grade from 1 to 10 on how to improve, not how you like it. Include explanation.
*_(2:10) Status Report_*
- has problems with shower temperature. Had dorm meeting last Wednesday.
- had dorm meeting Thursday.
- Planned fundraising events for damages. Proceeds going to charitable cause. Talons auction.
- Pushing the game on.
- Plan to have Dorm Relay because a lot of complaints about no dorm unity.
- Tristi un di sol and DDD. Goal: Go outside Claremont Area (hot Cali spot). This week: Geisha House
- Dorm meeting on Tuesday. Problems with heater/coldness (talk to FM).
- Have a cover for yearbook.
- Endpage still working on.
- Color scheme is exciting.
- Senior shots are held in March 14^th .
- Parent Ads: decent amount, have not completed lottery yet.
- All dorm pages will be in color except for 1. Need reps from Linde.
- LINDSAY WRAY – no way to get all dorms in color?
- LIZ – cost more money. Have to buy another 16 pages ($1,800). May order additional 16 pages if not penalized.
- Suggestion: took a picture of everyone in the dorm and have dorm activities on other pages.
- LINDSAY WRAY – Let’s get all the dorms in color.
- LIZ – Redistribute extra color pages in senior ads
(2:22) Gary wants to make the OID office more available. Make a Student Committee to attend ASHMC. ASHMC might help with the events. LINDSAY WRAY – Appointed position.
(2:27) 7 members arrive late because they thought it was in the LAC
(2:27) North Status Report
- dorm money-broke. Super Bowl party today. Meeting Thursday.
- Barbeque tonight. Dorm meeting this week.
(2:28) LINDSAY WRAY – do proposals, not if you like it or not but how you can improve it. Consider the project on its own. Comments will be compiled and given back to students.
*_(2:29) Proposal Review Started _*
(2:39) Washing Machines
- Rachel suggests stack washer machines.
- LINDSAY WRAY – how to buy more machines?
- Dean Noda – one thing to bring up for East renovation is to stack washer machines.
_(2:47) Discussion of Proposal Reviews started_
- Yearbook: Linde may not be in color for yearbook unless we buy additional 16 pages. May cost additional $16
- LINDSAY WRAY: I want to hear your proposals about the projects. Better sense of what is going on.
- Accept the budget request as it is coming in. Ex) we give you $3000, but you may get more.
- Leslie Mallinger.: Dorms should propose budget spending. Not at the end.
- Rachel: Let them propose rather than set a maximum
- Leslie: Guideline it
- Ginna Kim: keep in mind that money is evenly distributed
- Anu Kohli: probably won’t have 10K
(2:54) Clean Clothes Program – free laundry
- Lacking in that it needs to regulate high cost
- Rachel: wash 1 piece every day
- Donna: buy detergent in bulk
- Ginna Kim: how is the money added?
- Boy 1: subsidize
- Patrick: clothesline/clothes hanging rack
(2:56) HMC Teaching Program
- Hard for ASHMC to organize
- CGU and Yong’s class take care of that.
- Leslie: want to see a clear diff. on how this is diff. from Science Bus, Claremont Tutors etc.
- Ginna Kim: bring in speakers/teachers to teach.
(2:58) ASHMC ART Installation
- Anu Kohli: Inappropriate art
- Rachel: FM is doing it already
- Ginna Kim: have an art room
- LESLIE MALLINGER: Funding art work in general
- LINDSAY WRAY: how is it diff. from MuCC
- LINDSAY WRAY: D. Noda are there any rooms for art room?
- Rachel: have easels in LAC
- Anu Kohli: MuCC funds art projects
- LINDSAY WRAY: how is it diff. from MuCC?
(3:01) ASHMC Concert Series at Harvey Mudd College
- Anu Kohli: Do 5C’s have money?
- LESLIE MALLINGER: who will decide who comes?
- Anu Kohli: like idea of supporting local music
- PATRICK FOLEY: improved by having concert planners
- LINDSAY WRAY: a concert program…accept proposals from students
- Ginna Kim: combined with something else
(3:04) New Yor Times Sunday Newspaper
- Leslie Mallinger.: trial period?
(3:05) ASHMC Executive Office Scholarship
- Ginna Kim: concerned
- Anu Kohli: incentive is to have more people to apply
- Gena Urowsky: by not having incentive, you get people who really like it.
- LINDSAY WRAY: positions chosen on same idea that yearbook editors are paid
- Gena Urowsky: holding money over your head?
- Anu Kohli: I have more incentive to work
- Donna: If we can change the way ASHMC president is elected.
- Anu Kohli: I did not propose it for this year but for next year.
- Rachel: an hourly wage for positions?
- LINDSAY WRAY: (referring to Donna) so the way they are elected?
- PATRICK FOLEY: opposed to positions or money amount?
- LESLIE MALLINGER: we want to be careful (referring to financial need)
- LINDSAY WRAY: anyone have ideas for less?
- Donna: address why other positions don’t get paid.
(3:11) Inner Dorm Garden
- Rachel: good, but does that include paying student workers? Should be coordinated with Groves
- PATRICK FOLEY: should appoint an ASHMC Agricultural Director.
(3:11) Fund Student Conferences
- Rachel: Should be through clubs rather than ASHMC
- Ginna Kim: departments don’t cover really well
- LINDSAY WRAY: we should cover part
- Gena Urowsky: we shouldn’t be funding academic stuff, we are funding social lives
- Ginna Kim: they can be scientific conferences, but the idea is that you go to see scientific boards etc. Just to go is great.
- Leslie Mallinger.: we don’t want to be funding people’s vacations
- Ginna Kim: let’s pay for they registration
- Gena Urowsky: ASHMC approved events
- Donna: I remember Strategic Vision Initiative that funded student conferences
(3:14) New MudderBikes
- Rachel: would a boy ride this one?
- Leslie Mallinger: bike racks at LAC should be available to students not to MuddBikes
- Gena Urowsky: they are annoying…get different types of bikes
- (3:16) student comes in
- LINDSAY WRAY: concerned about the quality of the bike?
- Leslie Mallinger: how many are used?
- Donna: better advertise to student body
(3:17) New HDTV in Jay’s Place
- Leslie: where will it go?
(3:18) Massage Chairs in Beverly Chen’s Office
- Ginna Kim: how will they be cleaned?
- Leslie: anyone think they are useful?
- Anu Kohli, Ginna Kim: comfortable!
- PATRICK FOLEY: too expensive
- LINDSAY WRAY: trial period on massage chairs. Dean Noda, doesn’t Chen have money for this
- D. Noda: only $20,000
(3:19) Musical Instrument Rental
- Leslie: Why doesn’t Jam Society ask for more money for this?
- PATRICK FOLEY: I thought about it just now
- LINDSAY WRAY: we have created clubs for certain purposes. I don’t think it necessary come from Jam Society. We are focusing on spending our money.
- Ginna Kim: Can we provide sheet music and beginning – to – learn videos
(3:21) Strauss Freshman Internship
- Leslie Mallinger: benefit more than one person?
- PATRICK FOLEY: pull in more freshmen. After they do their internship, they can do a presentation
- Ginna Kim: what if frosh decides not to come?
- PATRICK FOLEY: I have to talk to admissions. If this is to happen we must send mailings in February
- Ginna Kim: maybe we can do one over winter break?
- Anu Kohli, Rachel: like that idea
- PATRICK FOLEY: not limited to freshmen?
- Ginna Kim: yes limited to freshmen
(3:24) Public Core Textbooks in Platt
- Rachel: bad idea because editions change.
- Ginna Kim: professors provide textbooks if you need them.
- LINDSAY WRAY: I like to work in a public area. It involved me lugging around 3 text books. This proposal can be helPatrick Foleyul.
- PATRICK FOLEY: Ginna Kim is that systematic thing?
- Ginna Kim: you can aLindsay Wrayays talk to your professors if you have problems
- Leslie Mallinger: upperclassmen selling to students
- Ginna Kim: I am concerned that students might take books out of Platt
- Gena Urowsky: why not let Sprague Library have it?
(3:28) Yearbook Color Pages
- More color pages for yearbook?
- Rachel: sounds good
(3:28) Gena Urowsky
- Storage space
- Have carnival at the end of the year
- Gena Urowsky: all HMC students subsidized trip to Disneyland
(3:30) ASHMC Meeting Proposal
- Snacks for next meeting
- Gena Urowsky: $20 for cookies
- Healthy stuff
- Hamas, pita bread
- Salsa and chips
- Patty’s (not open on Sundays)