Students shall be able to paint their rooms so long as they adhere to the following guidelines.
- Students may only paint previously painted wall surfaces in their rooms/common areas. Ceilings and exteriors are excluded here and will be discussed in another section of this policy.
- Facilities and Maintenance (F&M) will provide the student with a list of recommended paints from which to select. These will probably be low-odor, latex paints. If the student chooses a non-recommended paint, he/she must receive approval from F&M before use. Students may also submit paints to be put on the list of recommended paints.
- Murals and/or paint may not change the texture of the wall surface.
- Wallpaper may not be used.
- After review of the Room Painting & Mural Agreement signed by the students F&M will provide students with the following materials which can be checked out for up to two weeks:
- Drop cloths and painter's tape
- Pans, liners, rollers, disposable brushes and roller sleeves
- Clean-up equipment and supplies
- The student will have to purchase his/her own paint.
- F&M will not provide ladders to students.
- Clean-up of the paint must be done in the sinks found in the laundry rooms. All materials provided by F&M must be thoroughly cleaned and returned to F&M within two weeks of checkout.
- All students who wish to paint their room or a common area must fill out the Room Painting & Mural Agreement and submit it to the Dormitory Affairs Committee (DAC) Chair(s). For students painting common areas, the entire suite must sign the Room Painting & Mural Agreement. Students who wish to paint a common public area, such as a dorm lounge, do not have to acquire all of the dorm residents' signatures. However, they must give the dorm residents a week's notice to allow for any objections before approaching the DAC.The Room Painting & Mural Agreement will require a detailed description of the painting. DAC will review the agreement and decide whether or not to approve the painting. DAC, in consultation with F&M, reserves the right to deny any painting agreement for any reason. Students must provide clear digital photographs of walls after painting and submit them to DAC and F&M.
- Room Draw
- Photos of painted rooms will be posted on the DAC website at least one month before room draw.
- During room draw, the rooms that have been painted will be clearly marked.
- Should DAC find that the room was painted in violation of any of the above criteria or was painted in a sloppy manner, the student will be required to repaint it or F&M will charge the student to have the room professionally painted.
- Bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms require high gloss paint. Therefore, the cost to repaint these rooms will be assessed individually.
- After room draw is completed, students may request that their future room be repainted to a neutral color via a petition to DAC. F&M will provide neutral color paints for repainting to be done by the current residents before the day of graduation. If the student has a valid reason to delay repainting, a petition may be submitted to DAC. If the current resident does not repaint the room by the designated time, the cost of professionally repainting the room will be charged to their student account. Between the end of room draw and the assignment of all waitlisted students to a room, there will be no painting of rooms unless a student has requested that his/her room be repainted.
- If there are students on the waitlist, doubles, triples, quads, and suites with open spaces may not be painted until those spaces are filled or all students on the waitlist have been placed.
- Freshmen will be asked on the Roommate Matching Forms whether or not they are comfortable with living in a painted room.
- Summer residents squatting their Fall rooms may paint during the Summer if they have a Room Painting & Mural Agreement approved by DAC.
Approved by DAC, DOS, and F&M on December 12, 2008
Approved by HMC Cabinet on January 28, 2009.
Approved by HMC Board of Trustees on January 31, 2009.
Approved by DAC, DOS, and F&M Spring 2010