Parent FAQs

When are seasonal breaks? Are dorms open during any of the breaks? What can students do during these breaks?

The academic calendar lists the dates of all breaks. Students may stay on campus during Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, and Spring Break. However, dorms are closed and students must leave campus during Winter Break, which is from December 21, 2013 to January 18, 2014.

What sorts of shared ride opportunities and/or public transportation methods are there for students without cars?

Students can book a Super Shuttle or a cab. They can also rent the DOS van to drive places. For information on that, contact the Dean of Students office. Students can also sign up for a discounted Zipcar membership.

What occasions are there for me to visit my student on campus?

Family weekend in February is the best time to visit your student. Contact Parents Office for more info at 909.621.8342. Otherwise, make arrangements with your student.

What services are available in the dorms?

Every dorm has WiFi, a laundry room, and cleaning services for public spaces. Case, Linde, and South have communal kitchens for residents of the dorm to use. Sontag has kitchens in every suite. Atwood has kitchens in efficiencies.

What music resources are available? Are there music practice rooms available to students?

There are music practice rooms in the Platt Campus Center that are open to all students.

What online resources does HMC have for parents? What is the best way for parents to keep informed of HMC events and schedules? Other than the listserv for HMC parents, are there other mailing lists that we should be subscribing to?

There is the Parents Office website. Parents can also keep informed of HMC events at the News and Events page. Finally, there is the Yahoo group hmcparents, which is run by parents and not the College.

What do you feel is the proper balance between students coming home and parents visiting the campus during the first year?

This is really up to you and your student. Often students will want to come home at every opportunity in their first year and then much less in subsequent years. Ask your student what they would prefer and prepare to be flexible.

Do you have an adviser from each department to answer parents’ questions or any advisers assigned to particular students that parents can communicate with?

There are no advisers dedicated to answering parents’ questions. Each incoming student has an academic adviser assigned to them when they arrive. This person will advise them until they declare a major. In the spring they will also be assigned an adviser from the Humanities, Social Sciences, and the Arts department who will stay with them until they graduate. Once they decide on a major, they will be assigned an adviser in the department. These advisers are not intended to be resources for parents, though. If you have questions about your student’s academic progress, start by talking with the student. Keep in mind that if your child is 18 or older, FERPA prevents the College from sharing academic information without the written permission of the student. Forms granting permission for us to talk with parents about academic performance are available for students to fill out in the Dean of Students Office.

What career planning resources are available for helping HMC students find internships or complete graduate school/job applications?

The Office of Career Services provides a wide array of services and programs for HMC students. Many of their programs will also be helpful to those students planning to attend graduate school, but typically the departments are the primary source of information on graduate school applications.

How does the meal plan system work, and what options do the students have?

Meal plan options involve "Board Plus" dollars, which can be used for food at any of the Claremont Colleges' retail sites. The choices are 16 meals plus $16 Plus dollars per week; 12 meals plus $12 Plus dollars per week; and 8 meals plus $8 Plus dollars per week. Plus dollars cannot be traded for cash. The cost and billing of the meal plan is handled by the Office of Student Accounts.

What food options are available outside the main dining hall? Can students take food back to their rooms from the dining hall? Can/should students bring refrigerators and microwaves?

The Shanahan Center for Teaching and Learning has a café featuring Starbucks drinks and snacks. Jay’s Place, which is in the basement of Platt, serves pizza, sandwiches, quesadillas, and other food and drink. There are cafes around the 5Cs such as The Coop at Pomona, The Motley at Scripps, and The Hub at CMC. Students can take their meals out of the dining hall using a reusable clamshell. Students can also bring refrigerators and microwaves to the dorms, but it’s a good idea to coordinate with roommates and/or suitemates so that they don’t end up with appliance overload.

Can items be left in dorm rooms over breaks?

Students can leave their belongings in the dorm rooms throughout the academic year. Unless there are special circumstances, they must move out during the summer.

If offered a work-study as part of the student financial aid package, what needs to be done to obtain/apply for a work-study position?

Students can go to ClaremontConnect to check out job opportunities. Once a position is accepted, students will need to fill out the HMC student employment packet with the Business Affairs office.

How do we pay tuition online and monitor finances?

Visit Student Accounts for information about paying online. The eCheck service can also be used to monitor the student's account. If you have further questions, email or call Patricia Wang on 909.621.8107 or email

What happens when my student is sick? What health resources are available on-campus? What health resources are available off-campus? How can my student obtain prescription medications? What about emergency healthcare services?

Student Health Services is available to all Claremont Colleges students. They offer free appointments and walk-ins for $10. They can perform some medical services and offer prescription medicine. Dorm proctors are also a student resource. If emergency healthcare services are needed, students or proctors will call Campus Safety.

If the student is already covered under parents’ health plan, does the student still need to purchase health insurance coverage through school?

Not if your insurance plan meets certain basic minimum requirements. Information on requesting a waiver will be made available at the orientation pages (when launched).

What counseling or mental health resources are available for students dealing with stress, social issues, emotionally difficult situations, or academic struggles?

Students can meet with Dean Q, our Associate Dean for Student Health and Wellness for support and referrals. Monsour Counseling Services has psychologists and psychiatrists on staff who provide services to students from all the Claremont Colleges. For ongoing counseling or therapy, students will typically be referred to providers in the community.

Is there a campus police?

Yes, the Campus Safety Office serves all seven of the Claremont Colleges.

What emergency procedures does HMC have in place?

Information is available about emergency procedures.

Office of Alumni and Parent Relations

Ph: 909.621.8342
Fax: 909.621.8360