We invite students from the 5C's to join our Upward Bound tutoring team & motivate dedicated high school students from the East San Gabriel Valley! All 5C students interested in volunteering are encouraged to apply for one ofour 60 tutoring positions each semester. Additionally, we consider applicants from all 5C students with a work-study allotment(HMC, CMC, Pitzer or Scripps) and all Pomona students.
Various Shifts Available
• Saturday: 8am - 10:45am, only nine Saturdays throughout the semester. Work with the same 2-3 students every session (at Harvey Mudd College)
• Wednesdays and/or Thursdays: 2:15 - 6pm, join a team of tutors at our weekly study hall sessions (at various high schools) from 3-5pm. These shifts are extended past the actual tutoring time to compensate for transportation time. Transportation is provided from the 5C's to the high school and back. In regards to Spring 2013, we currenlty don't have any positions available for Wednesday or Thursday.
• Wednesday: 2:40-6pm. For those who can't arrive at 2:15, we have a second shift on Wednesday for those interested in tutoring. We currently don't have any openings for Spring 2013.
• Commit to the same shift.
Compensation and Training
• Upward Bound pays the hourly rate approved by your college, $8.40 - $9.25.
• No experience required!
• Mandatory training provided before start date.
How to Apply
• Read through the Job Description (PDF)
• New Tutor: Comeplete the the New Tutor Application (Fillable PDF). Call the Upward Bound office at (909)621-8123 as soon as possible to schedule a brief interview. We conclude hiring within the first couple of weeks of each semester's start.
• The interview will take place in our office, in the basement of HMC's Platt Campus Center. Bring: 1) your completed application, 2) a photo ID, 3) your work-study allotment letter & 4) your fall course schedule to your scheduled interview.
• Returning Tutor: Please contact our office to receive a Returning Application electronically. You are also required to electronically submit a copy of your current class schedule and financial aid allotment documentation. A follow up meeting may be required at the discretion of the staff.