The HMC photo contest was introduced with the hope that many students would want to share their study abroad experience with friends and family. We believe that photographs are a great way of telling a part of the study abroad story. Do you have a story to tell? If you studied abroad, then the answer is YES!
To take part in this contest you must be an HMC undergraduate who studied abroad during the current academic year. Submitted images should depict locations and experiences from this time away.
Number and Format of Submissions
- You may submit up to THREE images. Each photo may be submitted electronically or by mail (8" x 10" prints). PHotos may be color or black and white.
- Please include a brief description of your image (who, what, where, when, why, if pertinent).
- Electronic submissions must be of high-quality resolution (ideally 300dpi). Preferably, your camera is a three-megapizel or larger format and you have set it to produce the highest-quality jpeg images. Images may be submitted in JPEG or TIFF format. Low-quality images may be disqualified.
- Photos must be original work taken by you during the your study abroad program.
- All forwarded materials become the property of HMC, which will enjoy full rights of display and circulation (with attribution to the photographer). If you submit a photograph it is understood that you have granted this right. Winners will be notified during the upcoming fall semester.
Your photo(s) should capture an experience or record an observation abroad, not necessarily limited to your program site. (An Australian Program student, for example, could submit a photo taken in Figi during a weekend travel excursion.) Apart from this requirement, there is no restriction in subject, theme or style. We hope your photos will take a more creative approach, as opposed to the standard touristy attractions. Whatever you chose, all submissions meeting the above eligibility requirements will be considered.
There will be three winning entries eligible to receive prizes. Additionally, other entries may receive an honorable mention (recognition only). A selection of winning images will be on display in the Hoch-Shanahan dining hall for all to enjoy. In addition, they may also appear in other areas throughout the HMC campus.
Application Process and Deadline
Submit images by e-mail to email@example.com, or by campus mail (for 8" xc 10" prints) to Rhonda Chiles, Office of Study Abroad, Platt Campus Center. The deadline for entries is August 22 by 5:00 p.m. If you are still overseas at this point, please mail your submission(s) to:
Harvey Mudd College
Attn: Rhonda Chiles
Office of Study Abroad
Claremont, CA 91711