Choosing a Program
A number of factors must be taken into account when deciding whether studying abroad is right for you:
- Review your personal and professional goals. Why do I want to study abroad? What do I want to obtain from the experience? Am I comfortable traveling to a strange country by myself? Do you want to take courses not offered at home, or learn from a renowned professor at an institution abroad? Do I want the opportunity to see how my major fits in the global world?
- Identify possible countries/programs. You may choose from a list of approved programs or decide that you’d like to venture out to a new place altogether.
- Consider the regions: Would you prefer a developed/developing country? English/non-English speaking country? Urban or rural area? Warmer or cooler climate? Specific foods? Large or small university campus?
- Consider the type of program. Some programs offer more opportunities for cultural immersion than do others. Additionally, some programs may require foreign language skills. Consider your options carefully.
- Visit our resources page to assist you in the decision-making process