Chemistry Departmental Learning Outcomes
The Chemistry Department seeks to maintain a high-quality faculty, a critical mass of talented students, and the other resources necessary to achieve the following outcomes for our students.
The first three outcomes apply to all students in the College:
- For all Harvey Mudd students to understand the fundamental principles of chemistry and to have the background necessary to understand the impact of chemistry on our society.
- For all Harvey Mudd students to understand how fundamental chemical principles can be applied to the solution of real problems in a variety of technical fields.
- For all Harvey Mudd students to understand how chemists successfully study and interpret chemical and physical phenomena through experimental investigations using high-quality modern instrumentation.
The next three outcomes apply to students majoring in chemistry or joint chemistry and biology at the College:
- For all Harvey Mudd chemistry graduates to have a broad and intense education in chemistry (approved by the American Chemical Society) or chemistry and biology, so that they may succeed in any professional career track they choose.
- For all Harvey Mudd chemistry graduates to have a quality research experience for so that they may understand the ways in which new scientific knowledge is created.
- For all Harvey Mudd chemistry graduates to develop the ability to communicate scientific ideas clearly and effectively..